Present Underneath a Mistletoe

Its finally that one time of the year where these types of things are allowed. A pine tree up in the corner of the living room, all decorated and a star top it off. Presents underneath the tree and stockings hung over by the fireplace. Little ones running through the house, laughing themselves hoarse. A significant other standing by your side, keeping you warm. All of these things are what makes a family close near  Christmas.

This was all just in your dream. Yes you had children, and one on the way, but your twin toddlers were currently on their wag home frim your parents house. They'd be home sometime soon. After all, it was almost dusk time on Christmas Eve.

You placed a delicate hand on top of your belly bump.  There was a little fetus growing inside of you, only 6 months along. You had come to find out during one of your ultrasounds that it was going to be a baby boy!

As you walked into your living room, you stopped in front of your fireplace and stared at the picture of your husband in his Marine uniform.

He got deployed almost around the time that you found out you were pregnant. You told him as soon as you found out, saying that theres a 4th person waiting for his return. He said that he'd be home for Christmas about two weeks ago, but you haven't heard anything since then.

Worried, you sent your toddler twins off to your parents. If news came that your husband was dead or MIA, you didn't want them around to hear that. Most of all, you didn't want your young ones see you break down.

There was a knock at the door. You froze where you stood and slowly turned your head towards the door. You gradually made your way over to the door, and almost sighed out of relief when you say your dad on the other side. You smiled at him when you noticed two little girls in his arms.

"Momma!" They squealed in unison. Your dad put them down, and the twins ran over to you. They each wrapped around one of your legs.

"Now girls," your father warned. He didn't even have to finish what he was going to say, as the twins immediately let go of your legs when he opened his mouth. 

"How were they?" You laughed.

"They were absolute angels, Y/A!" You heard your mother well from down the sidewalk. It wasn't long until she was walking up the front porch steps to be with your father.

"Thanks again for watching the girls." You smiled to your parents.

"Any time Y/N!" Your mother smiled back. After some quick hugs and kisses, you dragged the twins inside as your parents went to leave.

The girls were bouncing off the walls with excitement. They were ready to go to bed so that Santa would come.

"Not just yet girls." You laughed to them. Once you got their attention, you continued to speak. "We have to leave some cookies out for Santa, as well as some milk. While we're at it, we might as well get a bowl of carrots for Santa's reindeer!"

The girls squealed with excitement. They started running around the house. The eldest twin, Ashly, tripped over her chubby toddler feet and fell down. She managed to knock her sister, Alli, over too. They both blinked for a couple of seconds as if trying to process what was happening. They then broke out crying.

Sighing, you walked over to them. Sitting on the ground, you let each of them crawl into your lap. They leaned up against you as they continued to cry. You held them tight, in attempt to comfort them.

You started to sing to them once you realized that they weren't calming down. It wasn't anything special, just a song that your grandfather had taught you how to sing before he passed.