Chapter 88: Double Trouble

When the last day came, I was sweating bullets.

     I was standing in front of the ancient mirror in my personal room while chanting to myself, "You'll do fine, you can do it! Just be in two places at once, two at once! Ah, what am I kidding?! I can't be in two places at once!"

     The maids simply passed by, chattering behind their hands as I fisted and un-fisted the dress I was wearing in my hands.

     Okay, so Mother wanted me in her sight during the full party, which was four hours. If I just sat a doll down at a table with food in front of it, commanding it to eat every once in a while, then no one would suspect a thing.

     No, that wouldn't work! Chord, Adri, and Hera are likely to come and try to drag me away!

     So I can't do that...is I really best after all to just do it as myself?

     Stay by the king as Knight, then pop up as myself in the crowd every once in a while. I think it would work if Mother didn't particularly mind that I wasn't constantly by her side.

     "Knight," the vice captain of the king's squadron contacted me. "Get over here."

     "What's the magic word~?" I said back in Knight's voice, not taking a command from anyone. The maids did a double-take, looking back at me. I just continued flustering over my dress, being the cute child I was, and they continued onwards out of the room.

     Sorry, please don't doubt your sanity.

     "Ugh...please."

     "Thank you very much, my dear vice captain~☆. I'll be over there in a minute," I chirped while running out the door.

     I could tell he was shivering on the other end of the line.

     I cut the connection and sighed by myself. This time, I was in front of Mother's door, where I could already hear Magaris was struggling to get Mother into a dress and teach her the things she hadn't bothered to learn before.

     "Now, when you are before the king, you curtsy like this."

     "This?"

     "No, you're too forward. Lean back a little but keep your head down."

     "Hello," I pushed the door open. "Mother, I'm going ahead. Have fun~!"

     And with that, I dashed away while firmly losing the door. Didn't want anyone to see that weird scene, they might get the wrong idea.

     Like me.

     I turned down a hallway, heart thundering in my ears, as for some reason it only hit me just now I would be appearing in front of a crowd. What should I wear? My regular clothes, of course. But wait, he said not to wear black! Ah, who cares what the king said? But then again, it would probably be a bad idea because I could be mistaken as a Demon even though my name is well-known.

     So, I had the same style as my regular outfit, but just changed the colors. It became a gray, instead of black or white. That way I could blend in to the background while not looking like a Demon. Or a Church member, because they always wear white.

    That's actually too bad. If not for my persona and the Church claiming that color, I think I might've worn it. Would've looked really cool, too...

     Well, don't want to wear that because it would imply I had an affiliation with the Church. Then they might take credit for all I've done, and that would not make me a happy camper.