Ten: Reason

"Oh, so you heard that?", Oikawa was scratching the back of his head, suddenly getting all stiff and nervous.

He moved his eyes on the side, looking for a suitable explanation for his own words.

Of course, he knew why he said it. If the rumours about him and [Name] spread through the school, it would make the girl at least consider the idea of being together. For now, even the vision of having a friend seemed unrealistic to her, not to mention a boyfriend.

Oikawa was, indeed, great at making a full use of other people. But it didn't only refer to volleyball and spikers. It also meant that he was able to read and use others' emotions and skills to his own advantage. Now he chose to use his first year fangirls to make him and [Name] get closer to each other.

He peeked at the girl, who was looking at him inquiringly and waiting for his response. What should he say? It wouldn't be a good idea to start out with a straightforward pick up line like 'I wanted others to consider us a couple' or 'Don't you like the vision of being my girlfriend?' No, he already knew that these kinds of texts didn't work on the girl walking beside him. He had to make a more subtle move.

"I...", he started and [Name] raised an eyebrow. "I wanted to keep them away from you", he said, observing the girl's reaction.

She remained silent, thinking about his response.

"But how would it keep them away from me? And why would you want to keep them away from me?", she asked after a while.

"Well, I thought that if I told them that we were friends, they would assume that you are trying to get closer to me and they would want to prevent you from achieving your goal by bullying you or something. But if they thought that you're already my girlfriend, they would understand that there was no helping it and keep away from you", he explained.

"Okay", the girl replied surprisingly calmly.

"Really?", Oikawa was confused by her casual reaction. "So you're okay with it?"

[Name] looked up at him.

"I mean... You did this to protect me from being drowned with menaces and hatred, so I suppose I'm kind of... Grateful", she replied and only now a slight blush flew on her cheeks.

Oikawa's breath stopped for a moment, as he felt a sting on his heart. Were it pangs of conscience for not saying the whole truth or was it a sign of admiration for [Name]'s cute, blushing face? Oikawa smiled to himself. Probably it was a mix of these two.

"Oikawa-san, it's here", the girl suddenly cut off his consideration, pointing at the entrance to the train station.

"Oh, right", the boy looked up and followed his friend to the platform.

Walking slightly behind her, with his hands stuck in the pockets of his jacket, he was observing her back. Her (h/c) hair was bouncing with every step she was taking. Somehow, her figure, no matter how substantial or realistic, always seemed distant and unreachable. He could stand right beside her, he could touch her, and yet, he would still sense this alarming mystery surrounding her.

What was going through her head when she was walking quietly like this? Had she ever thought about him? Will he ever be able to reach her?

"Oikawa-san, the train is coming", [Name] woke him up from the reverie once again. Seeing his absent minded expression, she tilted her head and furrowed her eyebrows. "Is something wrong?", she asked worryingly.

Oikawa quickly shoved away the distracting thoughts, and put on his usual, cheerful expression.

"Not at all", he assured.

As the train stopped at the platfrom, [Name] took a step inside, with her eyes still locked on the chocolate haired boy.

"Thanks for accompanying me here, Oikawa-san", she smiled to him lightly.

"Goodbye, [Name]-chan", Oikawa waved to her and the doors closed.

The train departed.

[Name] only managed to find a free place to seat, when her phone started ringing.

She peeked at the screen and saw an unknown number. Hesitantly, she accepted the call.

"I forgot to tell you that I took your phone number", a cheerful hum clashed to the girl's ear.

"Oikawa-san?", she asked, surprised.

"Yes", the voice behind the speaker replied proudly.

The girl sighed.

"I already know one thing about you", she announced.

"What?", Oikawa asked curiously.

"I should never leave you alone with my phone", she answered.

A small giggle could be heard on the other side of the call.

"I also learnt something about you", he said.

"What?", the girl inquired.

"You sound cute on the phone".