4.2

" Birds sing after a storm. Why shouldn't people feel as free to delight in whatever sunlight remains to them? "

Rose Kennedy

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

4.2 ; PLAIN SIGHT

       "THE UNSUB BROUGHT HIS weapons with him—tape, glue, wire," Gideon said to the room full of police officers. As he spoke, they all began jotting down notes from the profile. "He did not leave them at the scene. He took them when he left. He has a kind of killing kit that he carries."

Hotch crossed his arms in front of him and surveyed the room as he spoke, "Organized killers usually have a skilled job, likely technology related, which may involve use of the hands."

"The crime scenes are far enough apart that he needs a vehicle," he continued, "This will be well kept, obsessively clean, as will his home. He's diurnal, the attacks occurred during the day, so the vehicle may be related to his work, possibly a company car or truck."

Derek, who had been standing silently beside Caroline, spoke up. "We believe he watches his victims for a time, learns the rhythms of the home and knows his time frame. You're not gonna catch him accidentally."

Caroline watched the police bob their heads up and down in agreement. Their focused eyes were all focused on the profilers standing in the front of the station. It was almost unnerving to have so many eyes trained on her at once—especially since the image of the victim's glued-open eyes were fresh on her mind.

She took an involuntary step back and her back bumped into one of the evidence boards, jostling it a little. Derek cast a glance at her, his eyes questioning. She shook her head nonchalantly, playing it off. She didn't want him to know that she had gotten freaked out—he would run straight to Gideon and tell him.

Then Gideon and Hotch really would have a reason to kick her off the case. She knew that they thought this case hit too close to home for her—Gideon had even told her as much on before they boarded the plane in a vain attempt to get her to stay home. She had refused to stay back.

There was no way she was letting this son of a bitch off that easy.

"He destroys symbols of wealth in the victims' homes," said Gideon, looking back at the crime scene photos directly behind him. All the jewelry and wrecked expensive china that Tommy had broken in such a violent rage glared out at Caroline. "He harbors envy of and hatred toward people of a higher social class. He feels invisible around them."