XXXI

Ineria Louis

"Oh it's great that you could join us Inertia. I was just telling Zach here about Mike, Mike Thompson." By the time I reached my mansion, my dear mother had already taken the pleasure of telling Zach the one thing I dreaded the most in my past Mike Thompson.

"Look Zach I can explain." I sighed.

"Explain the fact that you were engaged... oh I am sorry are engaged?"

"Zach you need to listen to me." I said.

"You hid it from me Inertia. All this time we spent together getting to know each other, you didn't think this was important enough? You are engaged to a man!"

"Zach, it is not what it looks like. Let me tell you the whole story. Let me explain."

"Oh you have a lot of explaining to do but right now, I need some space. So just let me be okay?"

"Just please Zach, I am sorry." I pleaded.

"Not now." He said and left without a word.

"That didn't end well." My mother shrugged and fell back on the sofa. 

"I don't know what I did to deserve you. How can you be so heartless? Ruining your own daughter's life?"

"Okay you're boring me. I'm going to go to my room now." She yawned and left. 

I went upto my bed and fell down on it. I stared at the plain ceiling thinking about how messed up my life is right now. I just got Zach back and I lost him again? I think we just aren't meant to be. I mean if we were, we shouldn't have to fight so much. I get it love is difficult but us... it is almost as if forces are working to keep us away. Maybe sometimes, love is just not enough. Mike Thompson is a mistake I never got over. In the process of growing, I made a mistake. In exchange of a loan, I agreed to get married to a business man's son called Mike Thompson at a very young age. Mike had no idea I was marrying him for a deal. Only when we got married was the news supposed to go public but then after the engagement I couldn't do it, I backed off so no one knew. Mike was a nice guy and when he came to know about the deal and why I broke it off, he didn't let his dad make it go public. My mom got all this information at the same time when she dug up about Zach and me. How could I tell Zach about this and still expect him to like me? A phone call from Lauren snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Hey, I heard about Zach. Blake called as soon as you left. He knows doesn't he? Mom told him?" Ren asked.

"Yeah, he left saying that he needed space." I sigh.

"Maybe you should give him some space? Let him cool?"

"I don't know Ren. We've struggled so much. Every time we come close, we are drawn apart. I don't know if there can be an us anymore. I am tired of fighting. I don't know if we're meant o be."

"Okay big sister, I can't believe I am telling you this because I never thought I'd see the day when you would fall in love. But you need to know, this thing you guys have is very strong, I can feel it. You have to know in your heart if you want this. Ask yourself, is this relationship so important that it is worth fighting for against all odds? If the answer is yes, then you know what you have to do."

"Thanks." 

"Call me whenever you need me okay?" Ren says.

"That goes for you too." I reply.

"Good night."

"Night." I say and hang up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Its been a week since Zach and I spoke personally. We've been speaking in the office about work but every time I think about talking to him about us, he just ignores the topic. Blake like always is telling me to hold on give him space just like Ren but I can't anymore. It's killing me. I feel devastated on the inside. I have to talk to Zach today. Only one thing is in place, my mother hasn't pulled anymore stunts.

"Please send Mr. Miller in my cabin and tell him it is urgent." I order over the intercom.

"You requested I see you?" Zach said entering my cabin. You see what I mean? He's being formal as fuck.

"Take a seat." I order.

"I don't think that is necessary." He denies.

"I'm sorry if you misunderstood, it was an order." I said and he sat on the chair in front of me.

"I need a full and final." I said.

"We shouldn't be discussing personal things in the office." Zach said avoiding the topic.

"That is not the problem you have and we both you that. But if you insist and let's go to the cafe nearby." I suggested. He remained silent.

"I can't stay hanging anymore Zach. If we are not going to be together, I need closure."

"What do you want me to say?" He asked.

"I want you to listen to my side of the story and then decide."

"Fine. Tell me."

"I never wanted to get married. I needed a loan to start my own company and no one would lend me money because I was an 18 year old girl wanting to start a business. People thought I was delusional. Mike's dad offered to lend me money on the condition that I married his son. Mike was 4 years elder to me and he instantly began to like me. What he didn't know was that this was a deal to me. No one in the media was supposed to know about Mike and I until we got married. But I backed out after the engagement, I couldn't do it. Mike's dad didn't go public because while breaking the engagement I told Mike about the deal and Mike wouldn't let his dad ruin me. After that, Mike and I have never seen each other." I sighed.

"This doesn't change anything. You kept this from me."

"I didn't even remember about it until my mom brought it up when she came back. I didn't think it was that important."

"I'm disappointed in you. You just decided what was important on your own Inertia. You need understand, we're supposed to be a team. I should go." Zach got up to leave but I raced him to the door and stopped him before he could exit.

"You're not going anywhere." I said.

"You don't own me."

"I don't. But I love you." I whispered in his ear and watched him melt like ice cream.

"Y-You're do--ing it agai---n."

"Doing what?" I demanded innocently.

"Intimidating me into giving up."

"Then don't fall for it..." I replied blowing wind all over his face. I watched him squirm under my touch as I planted my hands on his waist.

"You're not going anywhere after all." I smirked.