Sherlock -Christmas- rockin' around the Christmas tree

'We're rockin' around the Christmas tree, at the Christmas party hop.' I sang softly and hung another Christmas ball on the tree. I sighted and looked at it. The many Christmas balls had almost invaded the entire tree, and no, it wasn't the most beautiful tree ever since the years hadn't done it good but it was familiar and it made me feel at home.

Though it still wasn't ready yet.

I was annoyed and waiting for Sherlock. For the millionth time I shouted 'SHERLOCK! I'm still waiting!' As response I got an 'and I'm still busy!' I sighed again and sat down on the box of other decorations for the living room. With hints of sadness I stared disappointedly at the tree. Though it looked nice, Sherlock and I would decorate it together and now it was almost done and Sherlock hadn't helped at all.

Instead, he was staring into a microscope that apparently was deemed more important than me. 'Sherlock, please, come!' I tried one more time but only got a 'hmmm' back. I rose and walked over to Sherlock with a new idea. All the others had failed, but I gave this one a chance.

I stopped in front of him and wasn't surprised when he showed no reaction at all. He didn't even look up to face me. I filled my lungs with as much air as possible and loudly sung. 'It's gonna be a cold, cold Christmas without thee, stop investigating Sherlock I plea. It's gonna be a lonely, lonely Christmas, without thee. Dreaming of you helping me with our tree.' I repeated my horrible rhyming again and again without lowering my voice until Sherlock did as my ingenious song asked him to.

He rose and looked at me. 'Really? I had expected a better plan from you.' I looked away and answered, obviously disappointed. 'And I had expected you to be true to your word. You promised me, Sherlock, you promised me.' And with that I walked over to the Christmas tree that, even though I say it myself, already looked pretty great from a distance. I told myself that I had done a great job and felt a little happier.

'What have you done?' Sherlock asked me and looked at the Christmas tree. 'Beautiful, isn't it?' I said proudly. 'Beautiful?' Sherlock repeated, 'Would you call that thing beautiful?' Sherlock said and tore my heart with his words. My smile disappeared instantly, but Sherlock wasn't done yet. 'It's a pile of branches with some not-matching and way too bright colours on them in a clearly failed attempt to put some beauty in long gone branches. Here, let me help you getting rid of it.' Sherlock reached out for the top of the tree and, before I could make any sound in response, I watched the tree fall to the ground, all the balls breaking when they landed. I gasped and looked from the tree next to my feet to Sherlock.

'You weren't really planning on keeping that horrid thing in our living room, were you? It was a joke, wasn't it?' Sherlock scanned my face for an answer.

'It wasn't.' Sherlock said as he watched my sad face. I just stared at my beautiful tree now lying on the ground, mirroring more sadness than I could take. Strong was the pity I felt for the poor tree, but the disgusting feeling of disappointment was even stronger.

'Merry Christmas, Sherlock.' I whispered softly and then ran out of the house, slamming the door as I staggered into the cold.

It was nearly evening when I left and I stayed outside until late at night. Because I didn't take a coat with me, I had to be content with a blanket that I had just bought. It wasn't really warm, to be honest. I had visited some bars to sit and warm up and walked for hours so now my limbs were close to frozen which made it difficult to walk. With heavily shaking fingers, I opened the door of our apartment and walked in, hoping that I could warm up a bit and that Sherlock was already sleeping so I didn't need to face him.

I closed the door behind me and locked it. Luckily, it was warm and cosy in the living room. After looking sad for hours, I finally smiled again. Then I turned on the light, scared to find the tree still on the ground because I didn't expect Sherlock to clean up all the glass shivers and my "pile of branches".

Before I could turn on the light, it was turned on by someone else. Thousands of beautiful Christmas lights were turned on and lighted the entire room. They put it into a breathtaking gleam and allowed me to look around the room. It was amazingly decorated. Everything was in the Christmas theme, everything, except the still empty Christmas tree. I recognised my "pile of branches" immediately.

'How do you like it?' The sudden voice made me jump up in fright. Sherlock appeared from behind the tree with a nervous look on his face. 'Well, what do you think?' He asked again.

'How do I like it? And with 'it' you mean the decoration, right? Those not-matching and way too bright lights that are a clearly failed attempt to put some warmth into a cold, cold room? Do you mean those? Well, to me they are a clearly failed attempt to put some happiness into a long gone and disappointed heart.' I answered sassily.

Sherlock moved closer but I turned left and made my way to the empty tree. My hand reached out for the branches and the familiar touch made me smile for a brief moment. The corners of my lips went down when I felt a hand on my shoulder and heard Sherlock's voice close to my ear.

'I'm so sorry about the tree.' He whispered.

'It was more that just a tree.' I answered.

'I know.'

Then his hand left my shoulder and he took some Christmas balls in his hands. 'Shall we decorate it together?' He asked softly. I glanced at the three and then at my Sherlock. I nodded. 'Yes, give me that.' He handed me a ball and we started to decorate the tree in silence.

'You're shaking.' Sherlock remarked and put the Christmas balls he was holding back in the box. Having done that, he disappeared but soon came back with his blue dressing gown in his hands. He helped me into the warm and soft gown without saying a word and then continued decorating.

I broke the silence with a softly sung song. 'We're rockin' around the Christmas tree, at the Christmas party hop.' Sherlock looked at me for a while and then joined in with sweet humming. The tree started to look fabulous and I looked at it with deep pride in my heart.

It was still cold, and Sherlock, being the observant chap he is, noticed me still shaking. He placed his hands on mine and we put the last Christmas ball on the tree together. Then he wrapped his arms around me and warmed me with sweet, whispering words. 'Merry Christmas, my dear.' I smiled in his embrace and I this time meant the words. 'Merry Christmas to you too.'

And there, next to our beautiful Christmas tree which we decorated together, lighted by millions of Christmas lights, we stood in one tight embrace. And then I knew that this Christmas would be the most wonderful Christmas of all. Surrounded by Sherlock's familiar scent, joyous and contently together, I realised it would be a warm, warm Christmas together with him.

A/N

A warm Christmas indeed! ;-)

Please vote, comment and have a nice day!

The songs in this chapter aren't mine, though the one with changed lyrics is. Not that I'd sing it for recording or something, but still! I really hope you liked this Sherlock Christmas special! Lots of love to you and merry Christmas! ;-)

Catch you later!

-MS