Condition

He didn't say anything, not to the Social workers or to us he was just silent even when they left asking us to be patient with Ian. He just sat on the couch swinging his feet and not paying attention to us. I looked over at Amar who was content with just eating and watching television without getting involved.

"Amar go clean your room for Ian so he won't step on any cars," Austin said and Amar got up and ran to his room.

"Are you hungry Ian," I asked him waiting to see if he would respond. He looked up ever so slightly before looking back to the ground.

"Do you like chicken Florentine, it's a day old but still good," I asked and he shrugged. Austin looked over at me and I could see he didn't know what to do here.

"Do you know what that is," I asked him and he looked up at me then looked back down.

"Well it is just pasta which chicken and spinach if you want some Austin will go warm it up for you," I said and he looked back up at me than Austin. I nudged Austin and he got up to go make Ian a plate.

"Do you want to see your new room," I asked him but he didn't respond.

"Come on we can put your stuff in a safe place, you can take a bath then eat and watch some TV," I said to him.

"PUPPY," I heard Amar yell obviously finding Nemo. He ran into the room with Nemo in his arms looking pissed to be held.

"Yeah, buddy his name is Nemo like the fish, Austin why don't you and Amar take him for a walk," I said to Austin who was taking the food out of the microwave. He nodded at me then turned to Amar "Let's go for a walk."

I waited for them to walk out and close the door before I spoke to Ian again, "Look I get it we are strangers, you're in this house with two foster dads and a hyper foster brother. I've been in similar situations so I know this is confusing so if you have any questions ask me and most importantly if you want to leave don't run away it's dangerous out on the street trust me I know. If you want to go back to CPS just tell me or Austin and we will take you right away, alright," I asked him getting down on one knee and looking him in the eye.

"Okay," he said in a small raspy voice still looking down at his shoes.

"How about we go see your new room," I said standing up waiting for him to get off the couch. I began walking and he followed beside me. I stopped and walked into the hall bathroom and turned the water to warm and walked out," here's the bathroom they said you have a toothbrush in the bag so I'll get you your own mouthwash, floss, and washrags. What's your favorite color?"

"Yellow," he said as I started walking to the back room.

"Okay, I'll get you some yellow towels and rags. This is where you're going to be sleeping. Amar can be messy but I'll make sure he keeps it clean. I'm going to go get another bed for you but you can sleep in Amar's bed tonight," I said to him. He walked in and looked around before placing his bookbag near the bed.

"Can I take a bath now," he asked.

"Yeah, there's a rag on the side of the tub and if you want I can retwist your dreads for you. My older brother had them when I was little I got really good," I offered. He looked at me deciding on what he wanted to do before nodding.

"Alright take your bath get dressed and I'll be waiting in the living room," I said walking out the room leaving him to his own devices. It was important to give a new kid some space instead of smothering him. So I went and brought his plate to the living room then retrieved everything needed to retwist his hair. When that was done I sat thinking about how I was going to watch him tomorrow. Amar was going to class which Austin would have to take him to. Then I had a class to take and stuff to buy to make him comfortable. He was scared of women so Chloe was out of the option pool. I'd just have to bring him with me which wasn't ideal but there were a few moms who brought their kids to class so it was obviously doable.

"Hey, where's Ian," Amar asked walking in the house Austin just behind him with Nemo in his arms.

"He's taking a bath which you are going to do next then finish eating," I told him pointing to his room. His shoulders slumped knowing that meant bedtime would be coming up soon. He started mumbling something under his breath when he left.

"What was that," Austin asked in an authoritative tone.

"Nothing," he said and kept walking.

"What are you doing," he asked me.

"About to retwist our new foster son's dreads, then feed him, watch some TV with my family and go to bed," I said.

"Okay, so I guess this is what we're doing. I just want you to know I support you in anything you want to do I'm just not sure what to do here," he said.

"Thank you, just be here and take Amar to class in the morning," I said giving him a kiss on his cheek.

"Alright I'm going to change," he said leaving me alone just as Ian walked into the room wearing minions themed pajama set they probably gave him before leaving.

"Come on buddy," I said and he walked over looking at Austin before he passed him.

"Hey little man nice pajamas," he said then went into the bedroom.

"Come on," I said pointing to the floor. He walked over nervously before sitting down in front of me on the floor. I handed him the remote and began the retwisting process remembering when JoJo had dreads down to his back and I'd spend the better part of the day getting them to look nice. Amar walked in wearing basketball shorts and no shirt as well as Austin. I smiled looking at how he was modeling himself after Austin which was adorable.

"You don't want to put a shirt on," I asked Amar and he shook his head before looking at how Austin was sitting and copied him throwing his hand over the back of the couch and spreading his legs. I simply rolled my eyes before continuing to twist Ian's hair while he had us watching some show about pranksters that had him giggling which was adorable. When I was finished I saw how late it was luckily Amar was already asleep.

"Austin can you take Amar to our room, bring my pillow please," I said getting up.

"Alright Ian time for bed we have to be up kinda early and you have to go with me so I need you to be rested," I said while Nemo came over and sniffed at Ian's feet.

"Okay," he said standing up and began walking to the back room. I got up and followed behind him seeing that he had placed his clothes from earlier on the floor. I picked them up and put them in a hamper then watched as he got into Amar's bed. I walked over and tucked him in and looked him in the eyes.

"Remember what I said don't try to sneak out we'll take you back if you want to go back, alright," I said in a softer voice. He nodded as a response then turned over while I made sure the covers came over his shoulders.

I kept the lamp on in case he woke up in the middle of the night and needed to use the restroom. I grabbed the humidifier Amar needed and walked to my bedroom placing the machine down and plugging it in looking to the bed where Amar was sleeping in the middle already drooling on my nice pillowcases. I quickly traded my jeans for shorts and left cracking the door as well then walked into the living room which had the love seat and couch pushed together and blankets on it.

"Hey babe come cuddle with me I need to be asleep in thirty minutes to get a full eight hours," Austin said already laying done on the long couch. I smiled and crawled onto the small couch he had pushed together having the throw my feet over on Austin.

"You know you're amazing, like really amazing," he said to me.

"What do you mean," I asked him.

"You're a great dad, I'm kinda awkward and bond through jokes and fun activities. You can actually speak to them, get to the kids, get them to see you as a dad," he said pulling me as close as he could without me actually being on top of him.

"It's about balance you're doing great," I said looking at him my fingers tracing his chest realized by his even breathing that he was asleep. I laid there looking up at the ceiling memories of when I would come into new homes not knowing what to expect. It was weird to now know that some of my foster parents had the same feelings.