Chapter 25- "Your head is on my boobs"

*Please vote! <3*

My heart was beating uncontrollably fast. I couldn't breathe properly. I was shaking involuntarily.

I was about to hear his voice again for the first time in two years, and despite the fact that I was in love with someone else, a small incoherent part of my heart still held room for him. 

Luckily, I wouldn't be the one who would talk to him because I couldn't think straight. I didn't even trust myself enough to have a proper conversation with him, even if we were hundreds of miles away. I could only hope that I had this same unthinkable control over him too. I hoped that my name made him tremble. I hoped memories of us together made him scream in pain.

Alex's finger hovered over the 'call' symbol on his phone and he met my eyes in a question, as if asking me for the hundredth time if I really wanted to do this. Even though we had this conversation many times since last night whether it was in bed or over breakfast, I still hesitated before I nodded at him. I needed to know what his problem was.

The phone was on speaker and the ring seemed to go on for eternity, as if it were mocking my fear. And I could swear that with every second that passed by, regret filled me slowly.

My eyes flew open and I clutched Alex's hand when the ring stopped and a voice finally answered.

"Hello?"

It was unmistakably Dominic's voice. It was much more refined and deeper than I remembered. The wolf inside of me went hysteric and I felt the need to scream. Alex's green eyes flitted over to mine and he held my hand tighter as if to warn me to stay quiet. He ran his thumb over my hand and I calmed down a little, remembering to breathe.

"Hi, I'm calling back on behalf of Destiny Evans as the official spokesperson of the Arctic Lights pack," Alex replied as clear as possible. I noticed he used the same voice as he did when he was in the coffee shop, serving customers. Apparently Dom bought the whole "official spokesperson" thing as he spoke a few seconds later.

"Is Dee, or uh Destiny there?"

I involuntarily gripped onto his hand even tighter when Dominic said my name. My real name. My heart race sped up again.

"Sorry, she's unavailable at the moment. Is there a message you'd like to leave, sir?" Alex responded. He stroked my hair in comfort as we waited in anticipation.

"Yeah. Her old pack, the Dawnlight Breakers have invited her back as respect for the Luna's funeral. Sorry for the late notice as it's in five days from now,"

Alex furrowed his brows and then turned towards me, mouthing the words 'The Luna's funeral?' in utter confusion

Even though I was as perplexed as him, I motioned for him to continue speaking.

"May I please ask, who exactly is calling?" Alex suddenly asked.

"This is Dominic Falbrook, the Alpha," he said, sounding impatient.

I almost fell off the bed. Dom was an Alpha. He was the Alpha. Well fucking shit.

"Alright, I'll pass on the message to Destiny as soon as possible. Thank you for calling. Goodbye."

When Alex ended the call, I held onto both of his hands, hard.

"Alex, what the hell? What the actual hell. Dominic is an Alpha now. . And the Luna's dead? Shit. I don't know what to think. This is--"

Alex placed a gentle hand over my mouth, muffling my words.

"Dest, breathe. It's done, it's over. Calm down," Alex instructed. I closed my eyes and tried to relax. Alex slowly pried his hand off my mouth and I moved over on the bed so I was sitting down next to him. He placed a hand on my back to steady me.