42. Harsh Words.

Three things happened at once, 

Someone grabbed my waist, holding me back as I lunged for Becca. 

Zayn helped Niall pull Becca from him.

And about four or five camera flashes went off.

“Audrey, No!” Paul whispered urgently in my ear as I tried, in vain, to get away.

“What do your think your doing, kissing him like that?” Zayn asked Becca who looked slightly ashamed of herself.

“I'm sorry, I-I don't know what I was thinking.” She said, scuffing the toe of her shoe on the floor. “I'm sorry,”

“What's the matter with you? All she wanted was a little kiss and she gets treated like that. Pushed away like yesterdays trash?" May said to Zayn, she then turned to Niall. "No wonder no one likes you and thinks your rude, because you are, and you have no right to be here in One Direction.” She spat at him. Niall first looked stunned then averted his eyes to the floor. May shook her head in disgust and left quickly. Niall stood with his head low, the boys watched him intently, seeing what he was going to do next. 

“Niall?” Liam asked quietly, slowly raising his hand to rest in on his friends shoulder. Niall waved him off and walked away, past me, Paul and Cat, down the hallway and to the dressing room, keeping his head down the whole time. Zayn sighed and followed him, disappearing as well into the dressing room.

“Do you see what you did? If you had just kept your hands to yourself May wouldn't have said those things and treated Niall like crap!” Brea said looking at the other girl in disgust before turning back to face the other boys.

“I'm so sorry, she get's something in her head and there's almost no stopping her. I'm so, so sorry.” She said, the boys just nodded.

“Right we have to be off, nice meeting you.” Louis said stiffly, trying to be nice. The two girls nodded and the boys walked over to us. Paul let me go, seeing as the other girls had left.

“We should probably go and see if Niall’s okay.” Liam said, we turned and went to the room. Niall was nowhere to be seen but Zayn was emerging from the changing room, back in his original clothes.

“Zayn... is he... okay?” I asked him quietly, Zayn sighed.

“He's a bit shaken up, you should probably go and try to talk to him, he wouldn’t say much to me.” He said softly, I sighed and walked back to the changing rooms, the one on the very end was closed and the shirt Niall had worn was slung over the top of the door. I walked up and timidly tapped on the door.

“Nialler?” I asked through the door. No answer. “Please Niall, let me in.” I begged softly, I heard the bolt holding the door closed slide open and I pushed the door open slowly. Niall was sitting on the bench in side with his head in his hands, crying.

I sat next to him, wrapping my arms around him. He laid his head on my chest, his tears falling onto my shirt.

“Shh, it's okay, don’t listen to her she's to stupid to realize how special you are.” I said softly, I ran my fingers through his hair over and over. After a while Paul came to the door a look of pity on his face.

“Umm we have to leave,” He said softly, Niall gently pulled away from me and slipped on his hoodie, pulling the hood up over his head. He added his Ray-Bans and quickly left the room. I sighed and ran after him, catching up to him quickly. I took his hand and we walked to the waiting van. The other boys and Cat where waiting outside, discussing something amongst themselves. Niall ignored them and threw open the van door and climbed in the back. I climbed in next to him and retook his hand and laid my head against his shoulder. Paul came out and the others loaded in the van, Zayn closing the door behind him. We drove in silence to the hotel, Liam and Niall had their heads against the windows Louis and Zayn where on their phones.

“Right, here we are. I don’t know if I told you guys, but you have a show tonight at 7:30.” Paul said once he pulled in behind the building. The boys nodded and we all got out, Niall still not saying anything to me. I followed silently falling beside Louis.

“Is he okay?” He whispered to me.

“I don’t know, he won’t talk to me.” I said despair filling my voice, Louis sighed.

“Just.. be nice to him. Because right now he feels like no one cares.” He said, I nodded and ran up to Niall, I wrapped my arm around his waist.

“I love you.” I whispered to him, so only he could hear.

“I love you too.” He whispered back, his voice cracking a little. He rested his cheek on the top of my head as we walked, his arm going around my waist. Paul led us to the room where the boys quickly dispersed. Niall letting go of me and disappearing into his room. Paul puffed out a heavy sigh and sat down on the couch, leaning his head back against the cushion and closing his eyes. I sat down next to him and began fiddling with my shirt hem, why do people pick on Niall so much? I asked myself, All he ever wanted to do was live his dream, and he gets hate for it. I leaned my head back and starred at the ceiling.

“Paul?” 

“Hmm?” 

“Why do the fans give Niall so much hate?” I asked, quietly. Paul sighed and opened his eyes.

“Honestly I don’t know. Out of all of the guys to pick on they seem to pick on him the most. I don’t know if it's because he's Irish, blonde, left handed, or what but they have pushed him into doing things I don't think he would have done if he had not been in One Direction.” I frowned,

“Like what?” 

“Well the biggest thing is the braces. He got so much hate over his teeth not being absolutely perfect, he wouldn’t smile, tried not to eat out in public, tried to talk as little as he could to people face to face. Eventually he got braces, then the hate on them started. But he's changed his hair style, clothing style, started working out more, anything he could think of to make his fans happy, it just never works.” Paul said, his voice holding a bit of sadness. I resumed watching the ceiling, thoughts running wild in my head. 

Liam sat down next to me and pulled my legs up and rested them in his lap.

“How long until we have to leave for the show?” Liam asked, twisting to try to catch a glimpse of the clock.

“About three hours.” Louis called from the kitchen, 

“Hey Lou, do we have stuff for a sandwich.” I yelled over my shoulder,

“Yeah, why?” He answered,

I stood and went to the kitchen, “Because I want one.” I said making a face at him. He made a face back and then left the kitchen, taking my spot next to Liam, who had turned on the TV and was aimlessly flipping through channels. I turned and busied myself with making my food. Zayn walked in and began watching me,

“Your going to eat two of those?” He asked skeptically, I gave him a 'don’t be stupid' look.

“No ones for Niall, I thought something to eat would help him take his mind off things.” 

“Food is sure to do just that.” He said with a laugh

I pulled a bottle of water out of the fridge and stuck it under my arm as I grabbed the two plates of food. Zayn helped me open the bedroom door closing it behind me, Niall was laying on the bed with his computer, laughing at something. He looked up when I entered and smiled.

“I brought you something to eat.” I said as I placed both of the plates on the bed next to him. I laid down on the bed, laying on my stomach and propping myself up on my elbows.

“Thanks babe,” He said reaching up to kiss me softy, I smiled and unintentionally leaned into the kiss. Just then I heard a little cough, I looked up expecting to see Louis or maybe Liam but no one was there. Niall blushed and looked back to his computer, turning it to me.

“Sorry Mum, this is my girlfriend Audrey. Audrey, this is my Mum, Maura.”