nineteen

"Hi," he breathed out.

"Hi? Who are you?" Ara cast her eyes to the bouquet of sunflowers that he was holding.

"Hi," he repeated. "I—I'm Jin."

Ara stared at him with a confused expression. Her hand shook as she pulled down his mask to underneath his chin.

Jin smiled and his eyes crinkled. "Hello, Ara. I've missed your letters."

"You... You're—"

"Yes, can I come in?" Jin asked.

Ara nodded and stood behind the door as he walked into her apartment.

"Let me take those." Ara took the bouquet out of his hands.

Their hands touched and Jin was startled, dropping the bouquet before she could fully grab them. The sunflowers dropped to the floor. The two of them bent down and picked up the bouquet, their hands touching.

Jin let go and let Ara pick it up. He stared around at her small and crowded apartment.

"Sorry about the mess. It's all I can afford for two people because of the hospital bills."

"Two people?"

"My dad. He's overseas though. He's a fisherman," Ara replied.

"How are you feeling?" Jin asked.

Ara smiled. "I'm better. I'm still a little sore from the surgery, but I'm definitely better. Why are you here? I thought you were a vet."

Jin nervously chuckled. "I had to make sure you weren't gonna go crazy for me."

"That's embarrassing," she admitted. "You heard me singing to Awake."

Jin laughed. "Your voice wasn't bad. It's what drew me to your room in the first place."

"I guess I should thank my voice then."

Jin swallowed his thick saliva.

Ara's phone rang, making the two of them jump.

"That's my work alarm. I have to get going. I'm sorry."

Jin shook his head as he pulled his mask back on. "It's okay. I'm sorry to suddenly come here. I should go to work anyway."

The two of them went their separate ways.