Chapter Sixteen

(Hayden’s P.O.V) 

I ran through the hospital corridors as fast as I could, until I found Sara. I slowed down my pace and took in her haggard appearance. She was sitting on a bench staring at the floor, as I slowly came forward she looked up at me with tearful eyes. 

“Sara…” I whispered as I stood in front of her. “What happened?”

She stood up and looked up at me, biting her bottom lip “he had a heart attack… we were talking and the he… he…” she covered her eyes. I pulled her to me in a hug, as her body started to shake.

“He was fine…” she murmured against my chest. 

“I’m so sorry babe…” I kissed her head, trying to comfort her as best as I can.

We stood like that, until she finally calmed down. She pulled away slightly her hands still on my waist; her eyes were red from all the tears she shed.

“I asked for an autopsy report.” She stated.

“Why? I thought he had a heart attack, that’s normal for people your father’s age.” My hands moved down and I held both of hers in mine.

“He was in great shape, he stopped drinking and smoking… he even started walking,” she justified.

“Things happen for no reason, it was his time to go,” I calmly stated. 

“No! It wasn’t his time to go.” She let go of my hand and moved away. 

“Sara, your upset; but think about it do you really want them to cut open his body?” I was trying to reason with her. 

“I’m next…” she whispered, as she looked up at me.

“What do you mean “you’re next”?” I raised a brow at her.

“I’ve been getting these letters, threats… the letters wrote that I was next. My dad dying can’t be a coincidence.”

I just stood there staring at her, not knowing what I should say.

“Why didn’t you say anything before?” I asked.

“Because I thought they were a joke,” she hugged her trembling body as she stared at the ground. 

“We have to tell the police, Sara. This is obviously not a joke.” 

“I know, but I want to see the autopsy report first, so I can have proof that someone really did murder my father.” She had her lawyer voice on, which means that she was pulling herself together. 

“How long does it take to finish the report?” I really hated that we were sitting out on the open like this.

“He said a day, since I asked him to do unrequired checks on my dad.”

“How about we leave our number here and let them call us, I would really feel better if you were safe inside I looked building.” 

“Okay...”she agreed and we gave a nurse our numbers and headed back to her place. As we walked in, I noticed that there was a paper on the floor. I leaned down and picked it up, carefully unfolding it. 

“Say your goodbyes princess …” was scribbled on the blank white paper, in a rushed handwriting. 

“It’s from him right?” she whispered from behind me. I turned around to face her; she looked so scared and hopeless. 

“Maybe we should go to the cops now, this is proof enough,” I said, gesturing to the note. 

“We’ll go when I get the report, until now we wait.” She moved to the living room and seat down on the “L” shaped couch. “Where’s Chris?” she asked glancing at me.