↳ THREE

ONCE AT HOME, Izzy had devoured a hearty night snack while her mother coaxed her into speaking up about the events of her shift

        ONCE AT HOME, Izzy had devoured a hearty night snack while her mother coaxed her into speaking up about the events of her shift. Truth be told, she hadn't given much thought to the gory sight she had seen at the crime scene, but once the words were encouraged out of her system, she realized that if she were to bottle up all those feelings, they'd explode within her eventually.

        The two had a close relationship anyway. Ever since her parents had separated, Izzy had been determined to maintain a loving bond with both her mother and father, although the latter no longer lived in the same house. And then, when Diane had gotten shot and was forced to retire, Izzy had further put off plans of moving out and chose to stay with her aging mother in the belief that life was too short to avoid the people you loved. Any day could be their last, especially now that Izzy was a police officer, and she truly didn't want to unexpectedly die in the knowledge that she could have tried harder. And she most definitely didn't want to wake up one day to the news of her parents' death.

       Even if her father was struggling to approve of the person she was.

       So they talked. Every night, Izzy and Diane talked and laughed and continued to feed their blossoming relationship, until a wave of exhaustion eventually washed over them, forcing their eyes to slip closed and making their muscles feel heavy.

       In the morning, Izzy woke up to eager licks on her face, and scrunching her nose at the wet feeling, she wrapped her arm around Thor without ever parting her eyes and allowed her body to roll over to one side. The silence in the room was broken by the deep growl rumbling in Thor's throat as he refused to submit to the tight hug, and all Izzy could do was sigh in defeat and let go of the black dog while opening one eye only to find him quickly hopping off of the bed and running away from more cuddles — sometimes he was relentlessly shoving himself into embraces, and other times he hated them more than anything. There was never a perfect balance, but being used to that by now, Izzy just chuckled to herself while tossing the covers over her body and accepting the fact that she needed to get up.

       Sure, her alarm was a couple of minutes away, but in the belief that the annoying sound would only flatten her mood, Izzy didn't hesitate to turn it off before tiptoeing out of the room as her fingers ran through the tangled red mess on her head.

       The house was quiet and empty, although the pleasant smell of fresh coffee lingered in the air, and the woman chose to assume that Diane had left early for either her book club or yoga class — retirement had proved to be rather boring after so many years, and still hanging onto her youth and health, the older Holt had picked up several hobbies upon Izzy's request, which made the deputy quite happy. She hated the idea of her mother spending all her time inside the house, worried about her daughter and upset because she couldn't do the job anymore. So, at the realization that she was all alone, Isadora broke into a smile and glanced down at Thor.