Chapter Nineteen

I returned back to the house and when the elevators opened I saw Alexander standing in the living room talking with someone

I returned back to the house and when the elevators opened I saw Alexander standing in the living room talking with someone. He smiled as he saw me and gave a quick goodbye to the person on the other end. "How was it?" He asked, approaching me.

I dropped my bag at my feet and hurriedly went over to him, basically jumping in his arms as I wrapped my arms around his waist, resting my head on his chest. I found myself yearning for his touch that comforted me. Especially when it came to my family. "I missed you," I said, disregarding his question. I didn't want to even think about what happened today.

His arms wrapped around me and his head rested on the top of mine. His chest rose in fell as he let out a breath of what seemed to be contentment. "That bad?" He knowingly asked.

I grunted, nuzzling into his warmth. "You have no idea," I said.

We stayed like this was a few moments before I pulled back from his warmth. I kicked off my heels, leaving them in the middle of the room. I walked over to the kitchen and heard Alex follow me.

I reached for the wine, not bothering for a cup. I pulled the cork and drank from the bottle.

"You're worrying me. What did she say?" He asked as he walked over to me. Alex took the bottle away before I was able to take another drink, setting it behind him on the island counter.

"She tried to destroy my father's name!" I exclaimed. "Diana lied and said he was abusive towards her, but that couldn't be true. My dad doesn't have a mean bone in his body." I defended, not really needing to though.

Alex shook his head, not seeming surprised. "Why the hell would she try and pull something like that?"

I threw my arms in the air. "Who knows? It's Diana we're talking about. That woman could grow a second head and I don't think I'd be shocked."
My hands held my forehead as I tried to think of just one reason she would do something like this.

But I couldn't come up with a damn thing.

Gently hands rubbed the sides of my arms before gently bringing me in for a tight embrace. "It's going to be okay." Alex comforted.

I wish he was right, but that story is going to be everywhere by Monday. My father's reputation was on the line. I tried to hard to shield him from what was happening here, but it seemed that no matter what I did he would end up being hurt in some way.

"This is all my fault." I muttered. I tried pressing my tongue against the roof of my mouth to stop the tears that brimmed in my eyes, but it was no use. Warm tears streamed down my cheeks.

Alex's hand smoothed circles on my back and he kissed the top of my head. "It's not, none of this is your fault." He pulled away slightly to look at me. I tried to turn my head but his hand caught my chin, turning me back to him. "Please don't cry," his other hand released my waist and came to wipe away any tears that were left.