CHAPTER FIFTEEN.

→ CHAPTER FIFTEEN; FIRST TIME.

The rest of the night was spent dancing in each other's arms, laughing about other people who had turned up at the party unwelcome and drinking as much alcohol as their bodies could take without getting too drunk. The other part of the night was spent stood against the walls as they took the mick out of John and Esme's dreadful drunken dancing and talking about the Irish members of the festivity. Polly had observed Michael and Hannah dance, sadness but happiness mixed all together in her stomach. For once, her son was completely happy, and Hannah was helping him stay away from the treacherous side of the corrupt business, he just couldn't see it because he was blind to it. Polly did like Hannah, more than she had ever liked any of the girls that the boys, Ada and Michael had brought home and she had only known Hannah for a short amount of time. That was why Polly feared for Hannah's heart, she didn't want to see the girl become heart broken or a walking disaster like everyone else who were around the Shelby clan.

A few hours into the party, Hannah saw Tommy stride across the room and demand that the music be made louder. After that, he made his way over to Michael and whispered something in his ear. Hannah looked back at Ada who was slumped against the wall, feeling disheartened after her politically aware friend had disappeared into the night, leaving her alone with no-one to discuss politics with. Ada had also spotted Tommy's abnormal behaviour and simply shrugged her shoulders when she noticed Hannah look in her direction. Ada went to call Hannah over but was stopped when Michael grabbed onto Hannah's hand.

"Where are we going?" Hannah asked as she allowed Michael to drag her through the hallways and towards a more secluded area of the house. Hannah could tell from Michael's heavy footsteps and rapid pace that he was desperate to get Hannah away from whatever dramatic event that was about to unfold, and she was grateful for that, the last thing that she needed was to be tangled in a Shelby crime.

"Away from what's about to happen, Tommy's instructions," he responded, not once looking back at Hannah who was becoming a panicking mess. Michael was right when he had laughed at her for thinking that the ceremony would run effortlessly. There was a rush of adrenaline running through her veins as Michael took her to a secluded room away from everybody else.

The room was weakly lit with just the fireplace burning, keeping the room whole-hearted and secretive. Panic was all over Michael's face as he finally allowed Hannah to walk without restrictions, his own figure walking over to a chair that was positioned near the chimney corner. Hannah looked around, taking in the huge and outstanding paintings, the luxurious furniture and the rugs that looked as if they had been imported from Paris. Finally, she moved over towards a seat that was across from Michael and placed both hands on her lap, her fingers intertwined.

"So" Hannah trailed off as she tapped her heels against the soft rug. "How long are we stuck in here for?" A part of her wanted to enjoy the gathering, socialise with the guests and get to know Polly more but she didn't dare go against Tommy's orders and nor did Michael.

Michael shrugged before inhaling and exhaling. "How long is a piece of string?" he joked, causing Hannah to nod her head at the comment, understanding Michael's concerns for not wanting to get Hannah hurt. She was fully aware of the illicit business and had been waiting for something like this to happen around her, it was bound to sooner or later, she just misjudged how long she could go without being, to some extent, involved.

Silence occupied the room, not in an awkward manner but a comforting one. Michael was carefully listening out for the gunshot that gestured that the business was over but all he could hear was the sound of men getting ready to fight and race.

Michael glanced over at Hannah and smiled softly as he saw her eye up one of the ornaments that was resting on the top of the fireplace. "What are you looking at?" he asked, causing Hannah to jump a little.