24 - Meet Their Highnesses? More Like Meet the Parents

Vampire Mates
24: Meet their Highnesses? More Like Meet the Parents

My heart rate increased rapidly as my feet pounded against the fancy marble tiles that covered the floor in a zigzag black-and-white pattern, criss-crossing along the whole hall. The looks of it made me even dizzier, if that was possible.

Dark, dark, dark, the word repeated on its own in my head tauntingly, taking over my senses. I almost lost it and punched my head in an attempt of getting rid of the nasty voice. You’re dark. It’s in your blood.

No, I can be good.

Ah, but blood is thicker than water, a series of cackling sounded through my head.

The thoughts that began flooding my mind made me stumble but I regained my posture and continued to run relentlessly, towards the two doors. Must get out was officially the next thing on my to-do-list.

As I continued arguing with the voice in my head, I felt a presence beside me. I looked over, only to see an angry Demetri, his hair tousled, his face passive. My heartbeat fastened, as quickly as that of a hummingbird’s.

 “You can run, Rose, and you can hide. But you can never outrun a vampire’s speed and his senses.” He hissed angrily before his hands grabbed my wrists forcefully, tingles shooting involuntarily from the spot. Angry that he had been so rough with me, I narrowed my eyes at him.

What I didn’t expect to actually happen was that he let go of my wrists and held his forearm while hissing in pain. He had gotten electrocuted… by me. Demetri gave me an icy glare, and the saying if looks could kill made sense then. He bared his fangs, shivers shooting down my spine as he took me by the neck roughly. I could already feel a bruise forming, a result of his manhandling towards me.

Dark, the voice said evilly and smugly, I knew it from the very start.

It’s called self-defence.

“You’re coming with me,” Demetri growled and dragged me across the floor. I could feel the blood draining from my face as he tightened his painful grip around my neck. I choked and tried to pry his arm off my neck by pulling it with my hands.

But, damn, he was strong.

I wanted desperately to use magic (or whatever that I had just did to both Lily and Demetri) but I also desperately wanted to prove the stupid voice in my head wrong; I wasn’t bad. I could be good if I tried.

Keep talking.

“Because of you,” Demetri’s voice was strangled, sad, and out of all things, angry, “Lily is now in the royal infirmary, and there isn’t that much of a chance… that… that she could survive.”

I could almost feel my heart stopping. The evil voice cackled loudly in my head and said something along the lines of: hah; told you so!

But I didn’t even hit her that hard. She just hit the TV, that’s all.

No, you Spiralled her: a magic that can only be performed by that of dark magic.

My face must’ve been distorted, my eyes filled with anguish, guilt and terror at the fact that my best friend could be dying at the moment, because Demetri let go of my throat. It burned, but I barely felt it.

“Bring me to her,” I whispered helplessly as I stared into the cold, emotionless eyes of Demetri. “Please.” My voice cracked, and I hoped Demetri heard the desperate edge to it.