A Forever Holiday

A Forever Holiday

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are both 11

****************

"Hi, (N/ N)," a newly acquainted friend greeted, sitting down beside you. You continued your gaze forward, off the edge of the cliff your legs dangled over and out to the setting sun.

You whimpered and scoot a few inches away.

"Hey, I won't hurt you," his voice cooed.

You started blankly at him, not knowing how to express your content. Others spoke to you slowly or not at all, since they thought you didn't understand them. You never answered, acted accordingly, or acknowledged their words, after all.

"How are you?" he asked. He waited a minute, then two. You didn't respond. You didn't speak. You didn't even open your mouth. "I know you understand me."

He spoke so calmly; softly. Your eyes widened, and you whipped your head to look at the side of his face. Upon your sudden movement, he looked at you from the corner of his eyes and smirked.

He only said one thing: "I know you." He stood and walked away, not bothering himself to ask anymore questions.

And you knew the truth; Hiccup Haddock did know you. Maybe even just as well as you knew yourself.

*****************

You are both 13

*****************

"Hi, (N/ N)," your friend greeted. He sat down beside you, over the same cliff your friendship began two years prior.
Now that your understanding of the strange Viking language was known, people still rarely spoke to you. It was assumed you were dumb. Why? Because you never spoke. Your alliance with the village runt didn't seem to wise of a choice for you, either, but by his side you stayed, happily.

You let out a short whine as a return greeting. You made incoherent babbling as he offered you a small slice of bread, and you took it.

"You're welcome," came his reply. Silence rested over you two like a blanket. It was early morning, and snow had freshly fallen. No dragon attacks today. Birds chirped, but you didn't turn around to find them like you sometimes did.

You watched the horizon for many minutes, kicking your legs back and forth off the edge of the cliff, before Hiccup bombarded you with concerning questions.

"Your home is in the forest, isn't it?" You nodded. "You live alone, right?" You nodded. "Is it warm?" You froze, stopping your foot mid swing. You turned to look at him and shook your head once. The pattern of your swinging legs started up again. "No one should be alone. Especially not for Snoggletog. I already asked my dad. He said it was okay for you to spend the holiday with us. Please, (Y/ N), please?"

You slowed your legs to a rest and stared at Hiccup. He continued his begging until you abruptly nodded once. He cheered, lifting you to your feet and dancing you away from the edge. "Oh yay! Oh yes! This will be the best Snoggletog ever! I get to spend it with my dad and my best friend!" he cheered. You couldn't help it, his happiness was contagious, and smiled. Your third smile only made his cheers louder and happier.

"Just you wait, (Y/ N), you'll love it," he promised. "We'll stay up late tomorrow night, and then wake dad up early on Snoggletog! Be careful, though, don't wake him before you move his axe. Trust me, it's not a pretty story. I had nightmares for a month!"

That night, Hiccup had you sleep at his house. You looked around in wonder, having never been inside his house before. Your own home was a small cave, and you had never shown anybody it. Most the village assumed you lived in a cottage or something deep in the forest.