Chapter 42

Chapter 42

The floor beneath my back was cold and hard; the rough surface noticeable even through my shirt. I forced my body up into a sitting position; my stomach cramping. A sharp hiss of breath escaped my lips at the sharp pain that surged up into my abdomen.

I rested my hand against my stomach, or I would have if cold metal didn't bite into my wrist and pulled it back. My eyes flew open; shooting towards the shackle clamped around my arm, the thick metal chain it was attached to, screwed into the stone wall behind me.

I reached out to my wolf; calling out for her help. I could faintly feel her respond but it was like there was a barrier between us; which had never happened to me before. She was in tune to me; we were always one. Now it felt like there was a window between us, I could tell she was there but I couldn't touch her directly.

I knew that I wouldn't get anywhere if I lost it now, so I controlled my panic; telling my wolf to do the same, as I began to assess my surroundings. I was sitting on the floor of a rough, stone cell; much like the ones that were designed for pack prisons. The cell itself seemed to be built specifically for keeping a shifter in. The metal shackles keeping me from moving further forwards was made of a heavy metal strong enough to keep me from breaking through even if I had my wolf's strength.

The rest of my little cell was bare; the metal door at the far side of the room creaking open as the man I'd beaten up before stepped in; his head bandaged heavily as he shuffled forwards with a limp in his step. Another familiar face accompanied him; the nerd who had hassled me from before, his face appearing serious as he stalked towards me at a uniform pace beside the man next to him. “I see you’re awake.” The bandaged man mumbled; disdain in his voice.

Despite the hatred I felt for this human who now had my wolf and I caged; I managed a smirk. “And I see that you’re still breathing.” I looked him up and down with a deadpan expression. “Pity.”

The other guy spoke then, his face smug. “You should have accepted my offer to hang out.” He commented. “It would have sped up the whole kidnapping process.”

“And here I thought you were just super desperate to get a girl to go out with you; you know, especially considering that fact that you look like you do.” I sneered; giving him a mocking smirk. As both of them stood before me; I could notice a slight resemblance in their faces; even with one guy looking more like a mummy than a human. “And now your brother looks just about as shitty as you do.” They looked a little shocked at my words, which confirmed my suspicion; they were siblings. That will make it so much more satisfying when I slay them both right in front of one another.

“Shut up you werewolf bitch.” The nerd snapped defensively.

The Alpha power in my blood didn’t respond well to that little ‘command’ of his, especially because it was coming from such a weak creature. I was surprised to find that my wolf couldn’t respond. My form remained frustratingly human. I yanked against the chain as I snapped forwards. “Tell me what to do again, and I’ll make sure that when I’m out of here; I’ll rip your beating heart right out of that puny little chest of yours, you pathetic piece of human scum!” I growled; my fingers curving at just the thought of getting that kind of satisfaction.

The bandaged man scoffed; wincing as that probably caused him some pain. “Don’t hold your breath because that’s not happening.”

I forced an air of nonchalance into my demeanour as I leaned back against the wall behind me. “We’ll see about that.”

“You can mock us all you want, but let’s be clear; you aren’t getting out of here, especially because we blocked that other side of you.” My anger spiked again at his words; he had no right to speak of my wolf.