Chapter 39

Daniel's POV

"Look at you" Jayce says shoving my shoulder.

I turn my phone off and give him a weird look. "What?" I question.

He heaved out a breath of air. "What do you mean "what"?" He says sarcastically. "You've been staring at the picture of you and her at the zoo for the past couple of minutes" 

I simply scoff and nod my head. It's hard to get her out of my head and that picture...well, was the happiest I've ever seen her. Sure she's becoming more like that person, but nothing beats the happiness. I just hope I keep that smile on her face for as long as possible. I can't risk losing her again. It was pure luck that I got her back in the first place.

"You taking her to Prom?" He asks.

I shrug my shoulders.

"What do you mean?" He questions, "Did she already say no?"

I shake my head. "It doesn't sound like she wants a date" I say referring to the conversation I had with Ky. He doesn't know that though.

"How do you know?" He asks.

" I just do" I say getting a little irritated.

I don't want to talk about it. Not now at least. We still have two months till Prom. So, it's not like I have anything to worry about right now anyway. But I can't help but think that she could have said all that because she doesn't want me as a date.

Jayce gets the hint that I don't want to talk about it but,
James being James, doesn't and presses further.

"Did she actually say that she doesn't want a date?" He pushes further.

I heave out a breath of annoyance and looked at him. "No, but she kept on saying that she would fifth wheel you guys when you go with Willa and Violet" I explain.

"How do you know?" James asks.

"Ky told me two weeks ago when he talked to her" I say.

They both just nod their heads in understanding and we fall into silence. I really want to ask her but I don't even know if she would even say yes. Sure we've gotten a lot closer for the past few months, but that doesn't mean she still wants to be with me. For all I know she could have gotten rid of those feelings a long time ago.

"Technically," Jayce starts " she didn't say she didn't want a date. Maybe she said that because no one asked her yet".

I shake my head. "You guys didn't ask your girls yet" I point out.

"Even if we didn't, we don't have to" James says. "We already talked to them about it anyways. They told us they don't need a big ask"

Must be nice. I think to myself. I often think to myself how things could have turned out if I just believed Elise at the resort and not humiliate her. I wonder if I would still find out that Katie was cheating on me and realized it was Elise that I actually cared for. Life would be so much more easier if it turned out like that. Because, Elise would have never hated me. And prom, well, it's just another step I want to take to show her I never want to hurt her ever.

"Ay! You alright?" Jayce yells bringing me out of my thoughts.

I nod my head. "Yeah, yeah man," I say "Just...thinking".

He nods his head and asks, "so you going to take her?".

I sigh and let out a bitter laugh.  Did we not just talk about this?  Of course I want to ask her, but there's a 70% chance that she'll say no.