CHAPTER THIRTEEN

AFTER
Detective Gerard Sullivan
Friday May 19, 2016

After speaking with Colton, I wait in the living room for Cordelia to come back out. She appears suddenly, wearing the same outfit as before, hair damp.

"You're still here," she says, as though she's surprised to see me.
"I just had a few more questions."
"Alright," she runs her fingers through her hair and takes a seat on the couch.
I clear my throat. "How close are you with Weston's parents?"
"Not close at all, why?"
"I haven't spoken to them yet. Thought I'd give them a call."
She nods her nod. "I'm not sure they'll be any help. They don't come around much. They tend to keep to themselves."
"Why is that?"
She shrugs. "They're... how do I put this without sounding rude. Stuck up? Pretentious? I don't know. They only care about themselves. Weston absolutely adores them so I can never mention anything like this to him. But how can he give them such praise when they don't even come see their own granddaughter?"
"Do they know that she's missing?"
"That's a good question. I don't speak with them so it would be up to Weston to have said something. I have no idea whether he did or not."
"When was the last time you or Weston saw them?"
She thinks about this. "They only came to visit once. Right after Emerald was born. They haven't been back since."
"Why's that?"
"Why do you think, detective?"
"The postpartum?"
She nods.
"Have they ever had a problem with you?"
"Me? No. It's not that they necessarily have a problem with me. It's that they simply don't care."
"I see."
"His father is one of those people who think you can buy anything you need in life. Like love. All Weston's life, he got whatever he wanted. His parents come from old money, so Weston's needs were never an issue. And that wouldn't be a problem, really, except they don't care about his life or wellbeing. They don't ask him questions about his life, wonder how his family is, or even care what he's doing at work. His father thinks he can just buy his love. Bought him anything he wanted, as long as he didn't have to spend time with him."
"But to your knowledge, they don't have an issue with you and Weston's marriage? Or any problems with Weston for that matter?"
"No. As I said, they don't care much. They're too busy with their own lives."
"Alright. Thank you, Cordelia."
She nods her head. "Let me know if you need anything else."

I leave the Waters' house and head out to my car. I dial the phone number for Weston's parents and back out of the driveway, the dial tone echoing through the Bluetooth speaker.

I almost don't think anyone will answer, but after the fifth ring, someone picks up. "Hello?" says a woman's voice. It's mellow, smooth.
"Is this Madeline Waters?"
"This is. And who might this be?" She asks. Her tone gives away what kind of woman she is. Poised, dignified. Everything that Cordelia described? Possibly.
"This is Detective Sullivan from the Davenport Police Department. I'm calling regarding the disappearance of your granddaughter, Emerald." I turn the steering wheel and the car moves swiftly onto the next street.
"I beg your pardon? I think I may have heard you incorrectly,"

That's when I realize: Weston hasn't told them. I signal and pull over to the side of the road.
"Ma'am, I'm sorry. When was the last time you spoke with your son?"

"A few weeks ago." She pauses. "What happened?

"Your granddaughter disappeared from their home yesterday evening."
The line is quiet. "What do you mean disappeared?"
"She's officially a missing person, ma'am. I apologize for having to tell you this way. I was sure your son had told you."
"He did no such thing!" She nearly yells into the phone. "My heavens," silence again. She clears her throat, collects herself. "Apologies. Why exactly are you calling?"
"I just have some questions about your son."
"What kind of questions? Is he in trouble?"
"No, nothing like that. I just wanted to speak with you, get a better understanding of the situation."