X

11 YEARS LATER

EDITING WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN TOUCHED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (2017). IT MAY NOT ALIGN WITH THE REST OF THE STORY (PLOTHOLES)

Erebus had changed astronomically since the day he wandered into the woods over thirteen years ago. After his powers had assimilated, he had morphed from a stringy, sad little boy into a brooding, strong, yet bitter man. His three advisors had raised him, teaching him everything they knew. Now the raining vampire king, Erebus longs to return to the very place which brought pain and suffering all those years ago.

Drum. Drum. Drum.

Erebus drummed his fingers on the armrest of his throne, waiting for his advisors. His eyes felt heavy, as he got little sleep last night. As usual, his nightmares interrupted his rest. He awoke shaking, before tossing and turning for hours. Erebus hadn't forgotten the horrors of his past. He didn't think he ever would.

"King Erebus"!

Erebus laughed as his three advisors; Aspen, Cyan and Damian entered the throne room in a bustle. "Hello; Aspen, Cyan, Damian," Erebus acknowledged, his deep, smooth, baritone voice radiating off the castle's walls.

"You know... I was thinking" Erebus continued, drumming his fingers. "It might be time for me to pay a little visit to Asteaia. See how all my old 'friends' are doing" Erebus said, smirking.

"Erebus, I'm not sure if that's the best-" Cyan protested "That town has made you nothing but bitter, Erebus" Aspen intercepted, earning him a glare from Cyan. "He speaks the truth Erebus. It would bring nothing but bad memories" Damian added.

"Well... memories are what I'm looking to find" Erebus confessed. "I'll prepare to visit Asteaia for three days. I trust you to handle things in my absence". He hoped this would help him move forward from his past.

"Of course Erebus, but let it be known, bringing back the past can impact the future" Aspen warned, concerned for the child he all but raised.

"You three have taught me well, I just wish to see Asteaia from a new perspective" Erebus said, his mind already made up. "I'll leave at sunrise."

Fourteen hours later

Erebus sat proudly in the carriage, waving his beloved advisors farewell before heading towards the town he used to live in. Still bitter from his past, Erebus wanted to visit the town that brought him so much pain and misery. He hadn't forgotten the town, and he hoped re-visiting it would placiate his mind.

The carriage brought Erebus through the town, as all turned to stare as he passed. People gawked, pointed and gaped at the luxurious coach. Erebus couldn't blame them. He still wasn't used to the opulence himself.

The carriage stopped in front of the nicest inn in town, as villagers crowded around the coach eager to see who was inside. Running a hand through his beautiful jet black hair, Erebus sighed. The trip was only so he could move on, and forget the town ever existed.

Stepping from the coach, Erebus felt all eyes on him. Endless praise and admiration flitted through the air. He couldn't help but feel bitterness at the townsfolk praise and admiration. Years ago, no-one spared a single thought about him.

It was true that beauty and wealth, could poison love.

Collecting his bags, Erebus saw the crowd part to give way to one man. The man quickly bowed before Erebus, then stood to shake his hand. "Asteaia is blessed to have you here, sir. I am Mayor Arnold."

"Mayor Arnold..." Erebus murmured to himself, instantly remembering his main tormenter, now bowing in front of him. Memories flashed through his mind, of his torment at this man's hand. He could feel the hate bubbling inside as he struggled to suppress it. Arnold clearly didn't remember him, he didn't remember the boy who he tortured endlessly.

"Pleased to meet you. I am Lord Erebus." Erebus said smoothly. "Well, if there is anything at all you need my Lord, feel free to ask" Arnold replied politely.

Erebus merely nodded, and continued into the inn. "Your most luxurious room, please" Erebus ordered at the front desk. If he was to emulate a human lord, he must have the arrogance of one.

"Of course my Lord, and if you need anything just ask" the girl at the front desk answered, batting her eyelashes and pushing her chest out. Erebus simply just took the keys and continued to the room.

"Pathetic" he thought.

He was furious, bitter and teeming with emotions Dropping his bags, he crumbled to his knees. The townsfolk clearly were as pathetic and cold-hearted as ever..

The voices from his past echoed again in his head.

"Look at what you are- A monster! Who could ever love a MONSTER like you."

"A MONSTER!"

"GO DIE!"

The voices echoed again and again in his head as he lay shaking on the ground. There was no escape, nowhere to hide. Tears trickled down his face.

When the tremors finally stopped, he felt the rage rising. He needed air. Storming out of the inn room, he headed for the town square, trailed by villagers like helpless lost puppies. The townsfolk were desperately trying to talk to him, as more and more flocked after him.

When he saw Mayor Arnold and his old tormentors laughing and punching another young man near the fountain, all his control snapped. No-one cared when he'd cried in front of this fountain for hours. No-one cared when they beat him and called him names. No-one cared that he'd been deprived of love. But now, Erebus was certain they WOULD care.

If they wanted a monster, he'd show them a monster.

"ENOUGH"! Erebus bellowed, causing a hush to fall over the square. Arnold and his group let the man go and he hurried away silently. The townsfolk eyes fell on him, clearly surprised by the outburst.

"Don't any of you know who I am?" Erebus asked enraged.

"Lord Erebus, my most sincere-" Arnold started. "I don't care for your petty lies!" Erebus yelled.

Screams began to echo around the square as a smirk formed on Erebus's face.

Arnold and his tormentors' faces went white. "Well, well, well...It seems you haven't forgotten me" Erebus mocked, a hand raising to his face to feel his reappearing scar.

Clearing his throat, Erebus prepared himself.

"I was the Boy you mocked and shunned, you saw me as a target for your fun". "But the monster is back, and I'm here to play. That is, if any of your live to see another day" Erebus sang, well aware at the gasps at his angelic voice. Arnold took a step towards him, his face red.

Picking up Arnold by his collar, Erebus punched him in the face. Screams ricocheted around the square as Arnold slumped to the ground.

"I come with a promise, this time I'm not going to be the one in pain" Erebus spoke, his deep voice filling the square.

"WHEN THE SINS OF THE PAST PREVAIL, I WILL BE BACK AND I WILL MAKE YOU REPENT YOUR WAYS!" Erebus shouted, his beautiful voice overcome with emotion.

Erebus knew that history was bound to repeat itself and when it did, they would pay.

The remaining villagers stood in shock as Ethan, Arnold's best friend moved closer to Erebus. They watched as Ethan removed a knife from his boot and attempted to stab Erebus, to avenge his friend. But the last sounds that were heard, were of Erebus's angelic voice before all went black. And when the townsfolk opened their eyes, Erebus was gone.

The Angel of Darkness was gone.