Chapter 6| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]

"i'll give you my body, just don't tell nobody // i pretend to my friends in the meantime, or they'll tell me that i'm a fool, but i wouldn't be able to feel love, if it wasn't for breaking the rules"

body • sinead harnett

***

"Die, jackass, die!"

A round of gunfire echoed around my living room that Friday night. Quinton and I were sprawled across my mother's white leather sofas. Keegan sat cross-legged in front of the TV, eyes glued to the screen and bellowing in victory every time he blew the head off another monster in the game. Quinton was laughing as he watched Keegan slaughter a group of zombies. I laid on my back, scrolling casually through my phone.

The end of the had week come fast. Soccer practice didn't run on Friday so Keegan, Quinton and I had hightailed it home separately to shower and change before meeting up for dinner in town.

A never-ending stream of notifications set my phone off the entire meal. People from school were messaging me about wanting to get together tonight. Our team's text chain had blown up an hour ago about who could break into their parent's liquor cabinet. Between half the team, there would be a decent haul, but I was yet to respond to any of them.

"Die, you evil bloodsucking zombie!" Keegan shouted, rotting a few more of his brain cells as he slammed on the controller.

"Uh, Keegan?" I paused my scrolling to turn my head toward him. "Zombies don't drink blood. They eat flesh."

Quinton snorted out a laugh as Keegan paused the game. He turned and pointed his controller at me. "Not the time for your condescending wisdom, Anderson. Let me shoot these fuckers in peace."

"I don't know. They could be vampire-zombie hybrids?" Quinton said thoughtfully.

"Aha!" Keegan cried. "See?"

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Why would there be vampires in an apocalypse?"

"Why would there be zombies?"

"Because biochemical warfare? It's a plausible scenario. The walking undead are not."

Keegan scoffed. "Just because you can't kick ass for all eternity, doesn't mean you get to bring down those who can."

I eyed the zombies on screen, noting the absence of red eyes and fangs. "Pretty sure they're not vampires, either."

"Not yet."

I rolled my eyes then laughed as Keegan hit Resume on the game.

Quinton looked over to me, eyes flicking a glance at my phone. "Let me guess, half the volleyball team is waiting on your doorstep right now?"