Chapter XXXVI: I Took Matters Into My Own Hands

Princess Natalya of the Longbournian Nations, Archery Mistress of the Longbournian Armed Forces

30 November, Year 1 of Sebastian VI, Emperor of the Longbournian Nations' reign

Amöneburg Palace, Amöneburg

The Longbournian Nations

Clutching my skirts, I sprinted down the corridors of the Palace.

I was late enough as it was. Firstly, the moment I had arrived at the Palace, I had to change out of my army uniform into a suitable gown - one that looked comfortable enough to wear on a daily basis, and at the same time, emphasized to others that I was a Princess of the Longbournian Nations.

Appearances were everything. My Lady Mother expected it of me.

Under normal circumstances, I did not care a whit about her expectations. However, I had been making an effort to be nice to her these days, to make it up to her for suspecting her of trying to kill Brother-mine this entire month. It was not necessary, considering she was none the wiser about the whole affair, but it eased my conscience.

Secondly, well...my plan had come to fruition a day early, and I did not want to miss a moment of it.

Her Majesty Queen Consort Eleanor Seymour of Monrique had arrived.

When I reached my Lady Mother's receiving chambers, I skidded to a screeching stop. I swiftly smoothened down my skirts, ran a hand through my curls, and took a deep breath to calm my racing heart.

"You are not late, Your Serene Highness."

The elderly herald standing by the double doors smiled amiably at me. We were on good terms, after the countless times over the years that I had stopped by to chat with him whenever I passed him.

He reminded me of my own grandfather when he had lived.

"Thank goodness for that, Corporal von Pappen," I sighed, returning his smile, "tell me, is my appearance up to the Dowager Empress' expectations? You must be honest. I do not want to earn her ire at such a time."

"You look most lovely, Your Serene Highness. Her Majesty will find no fault with you," he bowed, "truth be told, you will find that she is a little distracted today to take much notice of anything else."

"The Dowager Duchess? Distracted?" I pretended to be shocked, "surely you jest, Corporal. 'Tis impossible!"

"But true," he confirmed, "Queen Eleanor's sudden visit was of a great shock to Her Majesty, and the rest of this Palace. None of us were prepared."

Good. I did not want anyone to be prepared.

"Then I must see her at once," I chuckled, clasping my hands by my waist, "will you please announce me?"

He nodded, and knocked on the double doors, before opening them. He entered, and stomped his sceptre three times against the ground.

"Announcing Her Serene Highness Princess Natalya Sabine Hohenstaufen of the Longbournian Nations, Archery Mistress of the Longbournian Armed Forces!"

I glided into the chambers with small, graceful steps, quick to notice that both Monriquan and Longbournian guards were stationed around me. By the fireplace ahead, two, elderly women sat on their seats, with their backs straight and their eyes on each other, as they sipped on their tea.

They both paused, and looked at me when I entered. My Lady Mother's gaze assessed me in silence, before she nodded at me and returned to her tea without another word.