29 - Human Nature

"No." I shook my head even though I knew it was useless to fight anymore. "I don't know what you want, Viktor. Kill me if it pleases you. I have nothing to live for. Not anymore. If you don't, I will do it myself. I will not sit around and let you hurt me anymore. I refuse to be a toy, Viktor. You should have known what you were getting yourself into. I'm not a weak girl whose porcelain skin must not be cracked. I grew up in the worst town of London, I know what I need to do to survive."

"What a brave girl." Viktor sneered. "I can see why Lucian had been mated with you. You certainly are not one to keep her mouth shut. Unfortunately, love, that will be the cause of your death. Did Lucian ever tell you he killed his own mother?"

"You're a liar!" I shouted, fingers itching to inflict just an ounce of pain of how much he had hurt me. "You're only saying that to turn me against Lucian. You can wear the face of my mother but I will never believe you again. Lies won't ever change how I feel about him."

"Why don't you ask him then?" he said softly. "How much do you even know about Lucian Nayati, child? Did he ever tell you about his past? What he has done? How much of a monster he truly is? Well, I guess you will never have the chance to find out. Such a shame Victoria, especially when you are so beautiful."

I swallowed. Everything Viktor had just said had some truth behind it. Horrible thing to think about before your last breath, but it was true. When had Lucian and I really talked? He hid so much from me. I was terrified of learning what Viktor was saying could be confirmed. I wanted to believe that Lucian was still a good person under that cold exterior. I could understand why he kept up such a heartless front. It was what all Alphas must do to survive. But I didn't know if there was still a heart in there somewhere. One look to Viktor's triumphant eyes proved to be my fallen grace.

"Then just get it over with." I felt my energy draining as the seconds ticked past. "Kill me, Viktor."

He bared his fangs in a less than human smile. "How is Flora doing?"

"Please just stop." I begged. It was pathetic being so weak. "Please don't bring her into this. I beg of you, show some humanity."

Viktor's laughter filled the small room. ''Oh dear, I have dreamt of this day for years! The mighty Alpha's mate, begging for mercy at Viktor DeClaine's feet." He sent a vicious kick to my left knee. Something made a popping noise, followed by blinding pain. I slumped to the floor, crying. "What a sight to see. A beautiful butterfly ripped from this world. Oh, how I will enjoy seeing you burn in hell, Victoria."

Sometimes, there are moments in life that you just had to accept. Everyone will die one day. It was human nature. I would just die sooner than I was supposed to. But perhaps it wasn't soon. Maybe this was how my life was destined to end. It had been written in the stars since the day I took my first breath. Not to get all philosophical or anything, but my fate was demented and sick. But I accepted it. I truly accepted the fact that I was going to die in the hands of Viktor DeClaine.

Tears leaked miserably from the corner of my eyes. My vision was fading into darkness. Something white came into view. I was too drunk on the pain to make sense of anything. Until the sounds of flesh being torn woke me from my tortured stupor. I fought to open my eyes and followed the trail of blood leaking on the floor. It lead to a decapitated leg.

I could feel some of my energy return. Shaking, I forced myself to sit up. The pain blinded me momentarily. It was a second before I realized that Viktor and I were not the only ones inside the catacombs.

That silver fur...I would recognize it anywhere.

"Lucian!" came the strangled cry from my throat. My voice was ripped from the screaming. I cleared away the tears and finally made it in time to see something bloody plop down in front of me. It was Viktor. But only his head and the blood quickly pooling beneath. I screamed and scrambled back from the disgusting object. Something warm grabbed my arm and pulled me up until I was surrounded in warmth.

"L-Lucian, he broke it." I whispered between my sobs. "W-We're not....it's done, Lucian. And he said things but I-I-I didn't believe it. I was so s-scared. I thought- I didn't think you would find me, Lucian. Oh my God, my le-" More sobs wracked from my chest. My left was going numb from the pain. In a way, I was relieved. It was strange, to be in the arms of my former mate and not feel any better than I did before. Lucian pulled me harder against his chest. He smelled like blood and death and I hated it. With a start, I shoved him away and began crying again.

"It's over, Lucian!" I shouted. He said nothing and continued to stare at my neck in shock. "Viktor did it, he broke our bond. He said you killed your own mother, Lucian! That your father burned an entire village to the ground-"

"Do you really believe that, Victoria?" Lucian growled. His eyes flashed with heat. He made a move to grab my arm but I shied away. The hurt was clear on his face for a single second before he composed it again. "Of course Viktor would say these things to turn you against me. Please, Victoria. I do not know what he said but it is not true. Don't move away from me, Victoria-"

"Did you kill your mother?" I croaked out.

Lucian didn't answer but the silence was an answer enough. One thing I knew about human nature is that it is not very strong. In moments of truth, in moments of danger, it can't hold the weight. We break down and cry because it is the normal thing to do. We dream of things that will never happen instead of truly enjoying what life was truly about. Death was a part of human nature. Cruelty was a part of human nature but it just didn't seem okay to us.

The fight in me suddenly forfeited. I felt myself drained of energy. My body took its natural course and finally passed out. The last thing I saw before darkness was golden eyes.