CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

AFTER
Cordelia Waters
Sunday May 21, 2016

This day seems to be turning into a family reunion. I phoned Colton three hours ago, informing him that Liam and Lianna were here with the kids. Now I watch him and Jada, who arrived moments ago, as they sit together on the couch, immersed with the family.

Everyone sits in the living room: my mother, my father, Weston, Liam, Lianna, the kids, Colton, and Jada. I'm standing from a distance observing this odd scene, fiddling with my fingers. Why do I feel so uneasy? I should be happy to have my family together like this. Especially since Weston is here too.

I turn and glance at him, watching as he stands there holding a cup of coffee. I was sure he'd be up early and out of the house, just as he was yesterday and the day before. It's as though he can't stand being around me since she went missing.

I understand that he thinks it's my fault. I can't really blame him. But I don't care about that right now. I'm just glad he could put our differences aside and be here with my family.

I stand here, allowing my eyes to linger on him just a little longer. I don't want to turn away. The sight alone has the ability to make me feel even the slightest bit better.

Colton loves spending time with his niece and nephew. He's been chasing them around the house, playing games like hide and seek with them. They hardly know him due to the fact that Liam has been keeping his distance over the years, but they seem to be thoroughly enjoying his presence.

As soon as I called Colton and told him that they were here, he said he was on his way. I told him he didn't need to rush, but he said he wanted to. I guess he was eager to see everyone. Eager to see his brother. I know we've all had our differences, especially him and Liam for reasons that are beyond me. But despite all of the tension in the room, everyone seems to be getting along and catching up.

Nothing like a family crisis to bring everyone together.