Chapter 17

Jace wondered if Ariana needed a reminder that his step-brother was a suspect behind the attacks on him but he also knew Ariana and she wasn't one to accept an invitation just like that. So, the only other reason was something that as much as he thought was great, still didn't make him like it.

They had to figure out his next move and Ariana was already on it, but that didn't make him happy that she had to get coffee with him to figure that out.

Jace's phone rang at that exact moment interrupting his thought.
"Hello." Jace picked up on the second ring too distracted to check the caller ID.

"I seem to be the one who keeps calling," she said, "If I didn't know better, I'd think you were avoiding me."

"Sorry Charlotte. Been busy."

"Yea, I know. You always are," She said, "How's that bodyguard of yours?"

That question made him look at Ariana who stood on the other side of the room staring out the window.
"She's around, somewhere," Jace said, "I'm just keeping her around for the paparazzi and all."

Ariana who heard him and turned to look at him.

"You sure it's not because of the Mark situation?"

"No," Jace said, "I can take care of myself."

"If you say so," She said, "You don't happen to know where that son of mine is, do you?"

"He left a while ago."

"He was there."

"Yea. He said he was out of the country and wanted to say hi after he returned," Jace snorted,

Charlotte laughed a little
"Out of the country? Doing what? Picking up girls?"

"I feel like he's up to something."

"He always is."

"I got to go, Charlotte."

"Alright," She said, "Call whenever."

"Of course," Jace said before he hung up.

"Your step-mum doesn't know the real reason you keep me around," Ari said,

"I don't have to tell her everything. I think she's figured it out already. Besides, we're supposed to keep this away from everyone."

She nodded slowly as she stood there studying him,

"What?" Jace asked,

"I just feel like you're not telling me something,"

"There's a lot I don't tell you," Jace said, "You don't need to know everything. I can handle them."

"I don't need to know everything but I have to. It's my job."

Jace got up and walked towards her, standing right in front of her.

"Your job is to keep me safe not meddle in my business, or have coffee with the enemy." Jace winced as soon as it left his mouth. "Sorry, I didn't mean that for it to come out the way it did."

Ariana ignored it as he headed towards his door, he needed to step out of his office, away from her. But he stopped in the middle of his office when she spoke.

"My job is to keep you safe which means meddling in your business and if necessary, have coffee with the enemy even if it's the last thing I want to do. So, bear with me till this is over because it's going to be like this till there's no longer a threat...Mr. Black." Ariana headed towards him and then walked past him and out of his office.

Jace shut his eyes and let out a sigh.
So much for trying to loosen her up. Great job, Jace. Really great.

Ariana shut his office door behind her and sighed.
What's the matter with him?