Blood of my heart

(Samuel's POV)

Ruan was reciting the stupid words, they sounded stupid to my ears for sure, I seek entry blah blah. Was I missing something in here? There was some part of me which suspected this was all bullshit and he was a crackhead. But, I wasn't completely sure. "No, I do not give you permission," I said. I wanted to wring his head. I would but then something weird began to happen. His body fell on the ground like he was dead.

And that is when I felt it. A presence sniffing around me. I couldn't see it, I swatted my hands, hoping to make contact. But it was elusive. Then the pain came. Right in my gut, it was like a blade had pierced my skin and cut deep. Something was inside me. It felt like I was being stuffed like a Thanksgiving chicken. What had just happened? I tried to take it out but there was nothing to hold. How could I kill something I couldn't see, I couldn't touch? I began to believe the role of magic. How would I master it? Think Samuel, think! The pain was spreading, yet there was no blood, there was no cut. There was nothing.

I looked up when I heard the shrieks. I saw Diana and I lost my breath. So, they had found her. I no longer knew whether it was a good idea for her to be here. I was in the middle of something I didn't understand. I now wanted her gone. She was her raising her hands, standing like a Queen all covered in violet. The whole room was blazing with a pure brilliant violet color.

She was so amazing, like a Goddess. It took me a few seconds to comprehend what she was doing, she was cleansing the bodies of the shadows and then I saw the contours of the shadows taking a solid shape, forming from scratch like somebody was drawing them. She was the artist. I'd never seen anything like that. Like a conductor, she was commanding the hosts and the shadows simultaneously.

As the pain inside me became excruciating, I heard Ruan's own agonized cry, though the wail wasn't coming from the body lying still on the ground. That body was still immobile. It was like Ruan was screaming right in front of my face. He was the presence I couldn't see. And then I knew. He was in fact right in front of me, he was also inside me. At least some part of him was. Those words I'd dismissed as nothing but stupid had done the trick, they had given him entry. He was squeezing my soul. But what he had in mind was to replace it. I couldn't allow him to finish what he'd started.

Before I had the time to act, the power of the medallion created a bizarre sight. A cool breeze whipped around me as in warning. The violet rays around us put Ruan's soul in a grotesque shape. He now looked like a gargoyle, slightly hunched, with monkey-like arms, and legs. The skin color was grey, a grey that was rather lifeless, dull. His gaunt face stayed immobile, devoid of any expression. He looked like he was sculpted of stone but then when he attempted to move his appendages, I gasped in shock. Half of his arm was inside me. Half of it was out. He basically couldn't move without me moving.

I acted quickly and snapped his arm off in a clean cut. I didn't wanna think that I still had the rest of it inside me, part of his black, rotten soul. Ruan's eyes opened with horror, his mouth agape with an unvoiced scream. I almost felt bad for him. Almost. But, it wasn't enough to wanna save his life. I had something solid in front of me. Diana had made that possible. He tried to run away, I ignored the pain searing me and seized him.

I bent in two when the alien thing inside me moved up my chest. The arm that I'd grasped slipped through my fingers as I tried to catch my breath. Ruan was escaping in gargoyle form. The solid dark shadows were all over the place. I had to come to my senses. I got up and ran after him. But before I could get to him, there were shadows that blocked my way. Tens and tens of dark shadows had been solidified. I punched a few on the way, snapped necks, and used fangs.

Where was Diana? Shit, she was in the middle of this hell house. There was something more important than catching Ruan. I had to get Diana out of harm's way.

Dread settled in me when I saw one of them targeting Diana. My heart stopped, there was no other way of describing this feeling. I wouldn't make it, I would not be able to reach her. The shadow had curled an out of shape elbow around her neck. The sneer on his face alerted me to what was coming.

"Diana!" I shouted.

My life was taken and then gifted to me. And, what a gift it was! Riley struck the shadow on the head and he fell down in a lump. He did not leave her side as his two dark wings seized two other shadows and squeezed them to death.

I breathed in relief. She was alive. It was a joy I'd never tasted before. Not ever. She was the blood of my heart. I decided I would not insult Riley for a month. That was my resolution.

When I reached Diana, I nodded to Riley who moved on and continued his killing rampage in another spot. His wings emitted waves of power that dropped the bodies like trees.

I kissed Diana, a kiss that was so quick so unsatisfying that I applauded myself for my restraint. I breathed her in, making sure she was indeed alive. Her scent boiled my blood. Ruan's soul squeezed my chest in retaliation. I didn't give myself away. "I gotta go," I whispered. "Nora, keep her safe," I ordered, hating to leave this important task to somebody else.

"Kill the creatures. Kill them for your King." I looked around to see Alessandro was up and he'd caught up with what was going on. This was a moment to be remembered. I'd never thought I'd see him again. I'd sought it, I wanted to believe it but had been like an elusive shadow.

My friends were waking up. One by one. All because of Diana.

I doubted Alessandro knew what was going on but his instincts had kicked in. The exhausted bodies lying on the ground stirred, getting up to help.

Diana had done the hardest job. The rest was easy. After killing a few, I let my men handle it. Things were under control in here. I had to find the kid. I had to find Ruan. Just as I was leaving I noticed the wall move outward to hit a dark shadow. What the hell?

I then saw her face. Diana's face. Focused. Frozen.

Could it be? Was she doing this? I smiled. She was commanding the objects. Was there anything she couldn't do?

The warning came like another spasm. That part inside me that belonged to him was restless. It wanted to unite with the rest of him. I let it guide me.

I'd finish Ruan, once and for all.

As always, thanks for reading

Alena