Chapter Two: Activation

Brian

Six Weeks Later

"This is Special Agent Brian Kenmore. I need to speak with Barton Kane ASAP," I barked into the phone. "Yes, I'll hold."

I stood outside the airport trying to force the scorched air into my lungs. The sweat dripped down my back in less than five minutes after stepping outside the terminal. Why in the name of god would someone want to come to a place like this?

Kane's secretary came back on the line and told me he was in an important meeting and couldn't be disturbed. I pinched the bridge of my nose and left a message for him to call me. After shoving my phone in my pocket, I jumped into the first taxi that stopped in front of the curb and thanked god it was air conditioned. The driver chuckled at the ecstatic groan that escaped me for a few seconds before I gave him the name of my hotel.

Sweaty misery aside, I still couldn't believe my luck. I'd been tasked with traveling to some one-horse town called Rio Rico to locate the agent only known as "The Asset", whose real name was known by less than ten people throughout the country. The person, whomever they were, was a legend. If even a fraction of the stories I'd heard were true, he or she was the ultimate secret agent.

Unfortunately, in my excitement I neglected to meet with the crotchety bitch in Logistics to get all the details needed to locate and contact said agent. As if she was ever much help in the first place. I wasn't sure how someone who had never been in the field was fit to give me advice about undercover work. Usually I tuned her out, only to be met with a few nasty comments muttered under her breath as she shoved my paperwork into my hand and told me to get out of her office. Since I didn't even know if I was looking for a man or a woman, the joke was now on me.

There had been no call from Kane by the time I'd showered and changed, so I decided to grab some food and get a feel of the town. After that I'd try to figure out what to do next, telling myself how impressed everyone back in DC would be if I managed to track this person down with no information.

The sun mercilessly pummeled me as I shuffled into the rundown bar across the street. The air conditioning proved to be a welcome greeting upon opening the scratched up green metal door. A few patrons nodded as I strolled to a worn barstool and sat in front of the bar. My eyes were still adjusting to the dimmed light when a perky voice chirped in my ear.

"Hey there! What can I get ya?"

I turned and tried my best not to gape at the giant tits crammed into the tiny red tank top in front of me. My gaze moved up from her chest to a beautiful set of ocean blue eyes that now watched me with curiosity. I moved back in my seat and tried to look apologetic.

"Um, sorry about that," I stammered. "My eyes are still adjusting. I'll take whatever light beer you have on tap."

She nodded with a smile and then turned away, her long, curly dark blond hair swaying, to grab a glass from under the counter. My eyes scanned her body as she filled the glass at the taps. Her ass was damn near mouthwatering the way it filled the short black skirt she wore. The thought of her toned legs wrapped around my waist, hell around my shoulders, made my cock twitch.

She set the glass down in front of me. "Three dollars."

I handed her a five and told her to keep the change. She smiled and turned away to serve other customers as I slowly sipped my beer and glanced around the bar. It looked like your typical dive, loved by the locals and avoided by tourists. That made it probably the best place to keep my ears open for anything that could put me on the trail of my missing agent.

The bartender's gaze met mine as she returned to my side of the bar. "So, what brings you to Rio Rico?"

"I'm doing some consulting work for the water treatment plant."