d o o r s t e p

Shane = Bold

Despite all odds and disastrous shopping disasters the pair had somehow managed to land on the designated doorstep unscathed

Amidst all of the shopping bags and bitter weather Shane found his mind hesitantly drifting back to the stories his mother would read him as a child.

He recollected those golden moments with a fond heart and a burdened soul. 

If he thought hard enough he could just about hear his mother's laugh as his young self viciously cheered upon the victory of a hero. Pushing his conscious a little further he could vaguely picture his younger sister's scowl upon the small victory of a villain. This, of course, had been disregarding the fact that was cemented into all of their brains: good will always prevail. As it should. 

As it should.

With a little more effort he could see the elation on their faces as he packed his bags with a heavy heart to do something great with his life. Something brilliant. Something truly astounding. Something to be remembered for. They had been proud. Proud. Proud that he was deserting them for his own selfish desire to climb yet another unstable rung of the world's ladder of hierarchy. Proud. They had been prideful to watch their son and brother abandon them for his crazed, introverted fantasy of something that was never going to be as perfect as he thought it would. 

Then there were the memories that preferred to be left untouched. It was not often that his mind allowed him to open the doors to such things. It was far safer to keep them locked away, tucked away into a pocket of his mind that was only to be opened upon times of severe distress or self-loathing. This pocket was full to the brim, overflowing with the blood and death that he had caused. A pocket leaking sunken faces as his family was erased from his schedule. A zipped nightmare engulfed in tears and heartbreak as a broken family prayed for their golden boy to come back to them. A buttoned hurricane that sounded of nothing but pleas of a mother to understand the junkyard that was her child's brain. A sealed envelope of questions as to why a boy so reliant on social interaction would push everyone close to him away.

He couldn't.

He couldn't.

He couldn't.

He couldn't erase the past.

Nor the pain he had caused.

He was lost.

No longer golden.

Lost inside of his own head.

He had murdered.

He had broken,

broken the hearts of the ones he loved the most.

If that wasn't a villain then he didn't know what was.

Evil.

Evil.

Evil: doomed to lose for all eternity.

What was to become of the despised character after the book was slammed shut?

What was to become of the despised character that was condemned to spread darkness for as long as the book was opened. Unless...the book shut. He wouldn't have to be the villain. There would just be nothing. Nothing. Nothing at all. No good. No evil. Just peace. Peace from a world that seemed determined to label what was heroic and villainous. Why couldn't the world understand that a villain sees a hero to be just as villainous as the hero sees them to be?

Why didn't the world understand?

When would the world understand?

When would the world understand him?

Super-girl raised her hand to knock on the door of the broken. Shane grabbed her wrist with his shaking one before she could. His heartbeat had gone wild. He was struggling to keep his breathing regular. "Do you think, if this was a book, I'd be the villain?"