49 - Silence

Several minutes have passed since James and Calla Lind left but the banquet hall remained silent. No one had expected Calla Lind to play the piano so well. As beautiful as the music was – it was unbearable to listen. Dark and heavy in the beginning. Slow and intense at the end. No one could deny Calla Lind's talents, but it was clear that the young woman did not like the piano. Even those who never touched the piano could tell her antipathy toward the instrument. Pity because if she had any love for the piano, her music would be twice as alluring and thrice as beautiful.

Rose Lind slowly turned to her father and mother with eyes filled with sorrow and disappointment. Without words, she had let them know how saddened she was by their actions and words toward Calla. With just her eyes, she had expressed to them how wrong they were and how much guilt she felt. In silence, Rose walked away from her parents – from her mother who had quietly pleaded her to stay beside her. But Rose could no longer bear the guilt she felt toward her younger sister. The more she stayed beside her father and mother, the more remorse she felt.

Michael Lind couldn't understand the awkward silence in the ballroom. He couldn't comprehend the reason as to why so several people are looking at him with dissatisfaction. He didn't know what he had done wrong. He didn't realize that people could hear his youngest daughter broken heart as she played the piano. Because it was him – the father, who had told her to play in her older sister's place, everyone could only guess that Calla had played unwillingly. The sound of Calla's piano was proof of her unwillingness. But Michael Lind, as Calla's father, failed to realize his youngest daughter unhappiness.

Eli Frye focus has not left toward the direction where Calla Lind had left with her grandfather. The entire time, the man remained silent – recalling the beautiful young woman's empty expression as she played the piano. Unlike the playful sound of her violin, the sound of the piano was filled with anger. His heart ached – his trembling hand fisted when he listened to the normally bright and sassy Calla Lind playing the piano like a broken doll. When he couldn't bear to watch her fingers bruised and bleed, he stopped her. No matter how beautiful her music was, if she didn't want to play – he does not want her to force herself. Whatever Calla Lind wanted to do, Eli Frye wanted to support her – even if he never receives her heart in return.

When the silence finally lifted from the ballroom, people awkwardly tried to go about their conversation. Even though no one dared to speak of Calla Lind and her performance, everyone would remember how sorrowfully beautiful it was.