08 | Grammar & Punctuation

Did you know that you could write a fantastic story with excellent storytelling and significant character development that can be flawed? It could turn into a word maze if it is not checked for grammar and punctuation. The story could get more confusing than interesting due to the unfortunate setback of improper grammar. I know what you are thinking; I have no idea how to check for that just yet... Well, don't worry! We have some tips and tricks to help guide you through the process.

Feel comfortable in the POV you've chosen

Regarding tenses, it is essential to know where you feel comfortable writing-wise. Suppose first-person is the best place to write your character; stick to first-person. You do not want to go back and forth between tenses and confuse your readers, so pick your tense and stay there.

Let's talk about adverbs.

The thing about adverbs is that you are not in the wrong for using them; however, if you use too many, your story becomes less like you are setting the foundation for a beautiful story and more like you are stuffing a turkey for Thanksgiving with too many vegetables.

For example, if I said she whispered quietly, you might think that sounded odd, and you would be right. The word whisper already implies that she is being quiet. You do not need to double down on that. Instead, say she whispered.

Read more about the use of adverbs here. 

The use of passive voice

Using passive voice is not necessarily incorrect, but it makes the writing appear a touch more weak. Generally speaking, an active voice allows the writer to present something more direct and strong to their reader.

Active voice happens when the subject is something or does the verb's action in the sentence. For example, Sarah kicked the ball.

Passive voice is "the subject is acted upon by some other performer of the verb" (Grammarly). For example, the ball was kicked by Sarah.

The passive version of that sentence is weak and does not connect with the reader like the active version.

To read more about this click here. 

Punctuation

The dreaded comma debate can be nasty. The use of semicolons can be confusing. What is a dash?

Don't worry about punctuation so much! Just think about some simple tips to get you by; the more you do it, the more you will understand.

Commas are used in sentences to make them less confusing. They separate different clauses and allow the story to flow nicely. They are not needed for clauses that begin with that.

Semicolons "can separate two clauses if the text after the semicolon can stand alone." (Grammarly)

Quotation marks can be used for quoted text and unfamiliar terms.

Read more tips here. 

When in doubt, Google can help you figure it out!

Do not feel like less of a writer if you have to look something up! It is called research, and doing it is never wrong. Grammarly, Word tips, and AP style guide are all great resources.