xviii. Rock of Ages

Chapter EighteenRock of Ages

Chapter Eighteen
Rock of Ages

★ ★ ★ ★

When the quinjet dropped the two heroes off, the duo heard a rampage of people running, before a booming and dreadful voice echoed throughout the screams.

"Kneel before me," cried the man dressed in green drapes, with golden antlers placed at the top of his head. The man then duplicated himself several times in order to herd the crowd together.

"I said, kneel!" The duplicates and the actual Loki cried out. Gradually, everyone followed his command out of fear. "Is not this simpler? Is this not your natural state? It's the unspoken truth of humanity, that you crave subjugation. The bright lure of freedom diminishes your life's joy in a mad scramble for power, and identity. You were made to be ruled. In the end, you will always kneel."

Out of spite, an elderly German man stood from the crowd and said, "Not to men like you."

"There are no men like me," Loki responded to the man, with a sinister smile.

"There are always men like you," The elderly man said courageously, to the God of Mischief without fear.

"Look to your elder, people," Loki called out to the people kneeling beneath him. "Let him be an example."

Loki aimed his scepter at the man intending to kill him, if only Wonder Woman had not appeared and shielded him from the scepter's blast.

      She had acted without thinking in order to save an elderly man

She had acted without thinking in order to save an elderly man. Steve smiled knowing that Diana still had the same protective instincts.

"You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing," Captain America said and appeared beside Wonder Woman. Both heroes stood boldly, each prepared to battle the god before them.