Chapter 59: Awake

Zach's eyes crept open. The room was lit by the warm overhead light. The walls were bare and painted an ugly tannish color. There were two windows facing the outside, and carpet covered the floor. A closet on one wall was left open... several red hoodies hung on the hangers. His wrists were behind his back and hurting from the pressure of the tight rope around them. His shoulder seemed on the edge of popping out of place. This room must have been a bedroom, but the furniture was recently moved. There were four indentions in the carpet from the legs of a bed that used to sit in here.

Zach looked straight across from him: Natalie, on the ground in the corner next to the left window. In the corner to his left, by the door, was Kathrine. In the other corner was Evelyn, next to the right window.

Natalie had blood dripping from her forehead at her hairline. She was moaning, trying to wake up. Zach looked at her feet. Her ankles were tied together by a rope that was woven through a heavy cinder block. He looked down at his feet... the same thing. All four of them had their hands tied behind their backs, and their feet bound together by a rope attached to a cinder block.

"RED," he whispered.

Natalie rose her head. "You mean Adam." She pulled her feet up to try and see if she could lift the cinderblock. She could, but not for long. Her skinny legs couldn't break free. She leaned her head back against the wall.

Throbbing at the pace of her heartbeat, her head was still warm and hurting from the hit in the dinning room. She rubbed her fingers over her waistline from behind... nothing. Her gun was gone.

"I smell gasoline..." Zach whispered across the room.

"Me too," Natalie said. She tried to pull her wrists apart... too tight.

Evelyn slung her head up from leaning on the wall. She frantically looked around the room. "NO!" she yelled again. She tugged at her feet and ankles to break free. She couldn't. There it was... running over her... panic.

"AHHH! HELP ME! HELP US! NO!!!"

"Evelyn! Shut up!" Zach whispered in an aggressive voice.

"NO NO NO!" she kept flaring her arms, trying to break free.

"Evelyn!" Natalie joined him.

"NOT US. NOT ME. WHY!?" she hollered.

"We need time... don't let him know we're awake!" he hissed at her.

"SHUT. UP." Natalie snapped.

Evelyn stopped and looked at Natalie. "What?!" she started crying. "You gonna shoot me again? Or just jab your fingers into my wound?"

"What?" Zach looked at Natalie.

"This psycho really is trying to kill me. Are you working with him?" Evelyn snapped.

"No, Evelyn. Now is not the time for your bull crap. We need out of here. Stop it!"

"Not now, Evelyn. We have to get out of here."

"And just how are we going to do that? I can't even lift my feet," she started crying again.

Zach looked at Kathrine by the door... and his heart sunk. She's stuck in this too... and he can't save her. "No," he whispered. He dropped his head, then started pulling at his wrists again.

"How is she still asleep?!" Evelyn groaned.

"My phone is gone. Does anyone still have theirs?" Natalie looked at Evelyn.

"No," they said.

"What are we going to—" Evelyn stopped. She was interrupted by a sound that made them all freeze with adrenaline. Their hearts got faster. The hair on their arms stood up straight.

Clunk... Clunk... Clunk... Heavy footsteps were getting louder and louder from outside the room.

Click. The door handle started to wiggle.

***Do you think RED is about to end it all? Or will they not go down without a fight? Will Derrick show up... or is he involved? Comment your thoughts and predictions.