The toxic lady

I've never seen or heard of anything like this, it was definitely the first time I came into contact with this mystery just a few days back.

When I first read the title, I wasn't interested but as I got to it in detail I think it became one of the most baffling mysteries for myself.

It is complicated but you should read It about why she's known as 'The toxic lady.' It sounds like a villain from these marvel movies and comics but it's actually reality.

Admitted
One night in February 1994, a woman was admitted to the emergency room of Riverside General Hospital suffering the effects of advanced cervical cancer.

Strange
Something else was wrong, however. The woman had an oily sheen covering her skin, and she had a fruity, garlic-like odor about her. When her blood was drawn, the tube had a vaguely ammonia-like smell.

Special information
At this point, attending nurses and medical professionals began to pass out.
The first was Susan Kane, the nurse who had drawn blood from the woman. Once she was removed from the room, the medical resident Julie Gorchynski began to feel lightheaded, and she also passed out after leaving the trauma room.

A respiratory therapist named Maureen Welch was the third to pass out, at which point the emergency room was evacuated aside from a skeleton crew who remained to look after the toxic woman.

Background
The woman, a housewife named Gloria Ramirez, died after 45 minutes of treatment, but her unusually potent toxicity will live on as one of medicine’s most enduring mysteries.

Overall 23 people became ill and 5 were hospitalised, with those who had worked within two feet of Ramirez being at the highest risk.

Symptoms included loss of consciousness, shortness of breath and muscle spasms, though all affected appeared to have normal blood tests after the exposure.
An initial investigation blamed the phenomena on mass hysteria.
But some people aren’t convinced.

No one has ever been able to reproduce the chemical reaction that supposedly occurred within Ramirez’s body, and others have pointed out that the symptoms of those in the trauma room do not align with the symptoms of exposure to dimethyl sulfate, which reacts more like tear gas.

To make the case even more questionable, the body was not released for an independent autopsy until it was badly decomposed and largely contaminated.

Important
Her heart was also missing when it was handed over. Could they have been trying to cover something up? Some believe so.

An article in the now defunct New Times Los Angeles called the DMSO conclusion ridiculous, and put forth their own theory – that Riverside General was harbouring a hidden drug lab.
It’s sensational, yes, but not entirely unlikely.

Facts
Hospital staff could easily order the chemicals needed without suspicion, and the building is already equipped with legitimate labs.
Beyond this, Riverside was even known as the “methamphetamine capital of the world” in the years surrounding this case.

A similar operation was uncovered in a hospital in Denver in 1990.
If this was the case, then Riverside likely would have been producing chemical ‘precursors’ that could then be turned into meth, rather than the finished product itself.

Theory
Some of these chemicals are known to release dangerous chemical fumes like those encountered in the trauma room on the night of Ramirez’s death.

Charles Cox, a Cal/OSHA district manager postulates that hospital staff could have been storing these chemicals in IV bags to be sent out on the black market, at which point one had accidentally been hooked up to Gloria Ramirez.

Most of the staff who were strongly affected by the fumes were those who directly handled the woman’s IV lines.
It’s a plausible theory, and even more likely when you consider the secrecy that followed.

Ramirez’s body was kept hidden away, the syringe used to draw her blood was lost, the bedding materials thrown away and the IV bag never tested.

Her heart was never returned with the body.
Coverup, medical anomaly or something else entirely, someone has gone to lengths to make sure the truth about Riverside’s Toxic Lady is never discovered.

My conclusion
Well, I don't have a conclusion to this case as it's complicated to just judge without knowing what went on in Gloria's body as well as what happened that day at the hospital.

One thing's for sure, the hospital knew something about the death of Gloria Ramirez.
All they did was just cover it up or hide the truth.

Nothing has been confirmed yet so feel free to give your own theories about the toxic lady.