Chapter 56: I Know

It was a rare occurrence to see Ivy crying but she managed to speak through the tears, "I knew about Hunter's dad's problems and I knew about your sister, Em, but I never thought they were in some way linked. I'm so sorry, I should have told you - "

"No. It was Hunter's story to tell." My frustration grew, "Weird how he was telling me I needed to tell him about Jaimie and stop hiding things from him when he was the one keeping a bigger secret."

"It doesn't even make sense," Theo piped in, "Hunter was how old when your sister... you know? And Ivy told me he was living with his mom then. None of it makes sense."

"Doesn't mean he didn't do anything else for his father when he was older. He had a way to contact him if he called his dad to ask him for help. He could have easily been involved somehow and his connection to you was too convenient." My mom walked into the lounge, arms crossed and a fire behind her stare.

I matched his stare with equal ferocity, "Mom please, I was there. You don't think Hunter fought his dad when he attacked us? He might have hidden the truth from me but he was not involved. His dad must have done something or told the police something."

"They've got your statement though." Skylar came to sit next to me, "Surely that counts for something?"

None of us could answer her question so we were all silent. Despite the silence that passed over us, the house was loud. I could hear Ivy crying and Theo's murmurs of comfort. Hannah's wailing was the worst and without Hunter to settle her down, I was sure she wouldn't be stopping anytime soon. Without waiting for anyone to stop me or question me, I took my keys and left.

-

He refused to look up. I watched his body stiffen when I closed the door. He was tense and I was sure he knew it was me visiting him.

He was concentrated on the shackles binding his hands together and if I hadn't been watching him so intently, I wouldn't have seen the drops of tears falling onto the table.

"Hunter. Please." I whispered so softly I doubted he heard me.

"I was hoping to keep him locked away forever." I strained to hear his voice too, "I hoped that I never had to tell you about him. But I knew I would have to eventually. I could tell that the wheels in your head started turning as soon as you heard me on the phone with him, even if you didn't know who I was speaking to. I should have told you or at least tried to. I nearly forgot him until he called me. He has a knack for entering my life unexpectedly and when it's looking up." He was silent again, "You have to believe me when I say I didn't do it, Em. Please. I never helped him."

Screw the guards, I though and I reached out and took his hands in mine. I was glad they hadn't made him take off Jaimie's ring. I was glad that he hadn't taken it off either.

"I never once for a second thought you were responsible. I might have been extremely annoyed with you and confused but there was never a doubt in my mind that you are innocent."

These words made him look up and I saw a broken and lost boy. A boy who must have faced so many hardships, without a father who was still alive but had left him. I wondered what else had gone so wrong that we were sitting in an interrogation room, his hands cuffed and a guard waiting.

"I need to know everything, Hunt. Please?" It was still a question because like he gave me time with Jaimie, I would give him time with his father.

His nod was slow and he spoke to the table instead of looking at me. I saw his adam apple bob before he spoke, "My mom divorced my dad when he hit her the one evening when he was drunk. She refused to hear him out the next morning and left with me a day later. Which lead to my dad having some..." he struggled to find the word, "Mental disabilities?"