Sixteen

We stood in a small alley in front of a brick wall. Tina, Queenie and I knew what to do and raised our wands.

I pointed it to myself and transformed my black coat into a dark blue flapper dress with tiny crystals on it that moved slowly across the silk. My hat disappeared and my hair curled itself nicely. I looked up at Newt who was already staring back at me. I smirked at him and raised my wand again, transforming his loosened tie into a bowtie. 

I turned as Tina and Queenie finished changing into their own flapper dresses. Tina turned to the alley wall. The painting of a woman's face was plastered onto the bricks. Tina knocked on the wall and we saw the woman's eyes tear away as someone from the inside looked out at us. The door opened and we stepped inside the Blind Pig.

I quickly saw an empty table and sat on it, Newt and Tina taking their seats beside me. I looked around at the relaxing atmosphere. I tapped my foot to the jazz music and saw Tina and Jacob talking in front of the bar area. He downed some giggle water and let out a loud laugh. I smiled at how cute they are.

"Eve..." I heard Tina address me. I knew it was about what I actually was. I quickly gave her a pleading look, I didn't want to talk about it just yet.

She just stared at me a little more before breaking eye contact, looking around the bar.

 "I've arrested half the people in here." Tina commented. I looked around at all the goblins and people around us and cringed at the glares they shot our way.

"Now you can tell me to mind my own business," Newt said quietly, "but I saw something in that death potion back there." He eyed me carefully.

"I saw you hugging that second Salem boy." I looked down, playing with my fingers.

"His name's Credence." I answered. "His mother beats him."

"She beats all those kids she's adopted, but she seems to hate him the most." Tina said, shaking her head sadly.

"She was the no-maj you attacked." Newt realized. 

"That's how I lost my job," Tina said, glancing at me again, "that's how we both did."

"I went for her in front of her other kids. The whole lot had to be obliviated." Tina said.

I opened my mouth to explain more but I saw a certain goblin appearing from behind a table. "It's him." I whispered to my friends. They turned their heads and saw the smartly dressed goblin approach our table. I scrunched my nose as the smell of cigars rolled off of him. He took a seat at our table. 

"So you're the guy with the case full of monsters, huh?" Gnarlack asked Newt. 

"News travels fast." Newt said warily. "I was hoping you'd be able to tell me if there were any sightings, tracks, that sort of thing?"

"You've got a big price on your head Mr. Scamander, why should I tell you instead of turning you in?" Gnarlack leaned in.

"I take it I'll have to make it worth your while." Newt sighs, pulling out a silver lunascope from his coat pocket. He slid it to Gnarlack.

"Lunascope?" The goblin scoffs. "I've got 5." 

Newt then pulls out a a large, orange glowing egg. "Frozen Ashwinder Egg."

"You see, now we're---" Gnarlack stops, suddenly eyeing Newt, "---wait a minute. That's a bowtruckle, right?" He points at Newt's breast pocket, where Pickett quickly hid.

"No, Gnarlack." I quickly stepped in. 

"He's not for sale." Newt said, quickly covering Pickett.

"Ah, come on. That's a bowtruckle, right? Don't they pick locks?"

"You're not having him."

"Well, good luck gettin' back alive, Mr. Scamander." Gnarlack hops off his seat and starts to walk off. "What with the whole MACUSA on your back."

"Alright!" Newt says, looking distraught.

"What?!" I stood, appalled. I watched as Newt pulled Pickett out of his pocket. The bowtruckle struggled, Tina grabbed my hand to keep me from jumping forward and taking him before the goblin could.

Eventually, he was in Gnarlack's hands and he grinned evilly at him. "Something invisible has been wreakin' havoc on Fifth Avenue. You may wanna check out Macy's department store. Might help with what you're looking for."

"Dougal." Newt said. " Right, one last thing. There's a Mr. Graves that works at MACUSA, I was wondering if you knew of his background." I frowned at the mention of his name. I leaned in, someone who would use the unforgiveable curses was definitely not innocent: something was up with Mr. Graves.

Gnarlack just grinned at Newt. "You ask too many questions, Mr. Scamander. That can get you killed." 

"MACUSA are coming!" We heard a voice suddenly screamed. I quickly ducked under the table as wizards and witches apparated into the bar. I looked around and saw wanted posters of our faces appear on the wall.

"You tipped them off!"Tina yelled at the goblin, but before she could unleash her anger on him, I grabbed her and pulled her down with me. I looked around, trying to find Jacob, Tina, Newt and Pickett so we could get the hell out.

I saw Jacob quickly punch Gnarlack straight in the nose, he fell on his back. "Pickett!" I cried, I saw him crawl from the goblin's hands and onto the ground. 

I quickly darted forward and scooped him up, looking around for the rest of my group. I saw Newt flipping chairs over and looking under tables and called to him, "Newt!" He looked up and I raised Pickett up, showing him that I got him. He stood and ran over to us, I quickly grabbed Jacob as Newt grabbed Tina and Queenie. Jacob went for another shot glass filled with giggle water and drank it quickly, laughing once more as we disapparated.