Chapter Seven

I was relieved to be home. I kicked my shoes off by the door and headed to my room immediately. I flopped into bed, and tugged the covers over myself. We had slept in the rest stop because my mother didn't want to drive or want me to drive in the dark for the night. My back was stiff from the seats of the car, and my skin felt raw from the leather interior. My bed was comforting, and I just laid in it for a few minutes before I made any other movements. I checked my phone finally and saw a late reply to my picture message to Savannah. 

"It's gorgeous on you, I love it." She sent it with a smiley. I ignored it and tucked it under my pillow. I didn't plan on having company over, but my mother called up to me. 

"Viva? We're having a small get together tonight! You should put something appropriate and comfortable on for a fire. I groaned and went into the bathroom. I showered under the hottest conditions the water would allow and felt my skin burning. I ignored the pain for the tiny bit of pleasure it provided and washed my hair, face, and body. I killed the water and slipped into my favorite pair of jeans, and a hooded sweatshirt with my school's logo on it. My old cheer sneakers were sufficient for the occasion and I tied them on too. I took a half an hour to apply makeup to my reddened, tired face. I forced my way down the stairs to ask my mother just what kind of event she was planning. 

"Mom?" I called out. 

"Nope," Viper said directly in my face as I rounded the corner, "Mom's out."

"Out as in asleep, or out as in in town?"

"In town, gathering things for the party tonight."

"Why the hell are we having a party anyway?"

"Because," the Brunette slipped up under his arm, "I actually made a commitment to a girl. She's proud."

"Cute," I said sarcastically, "what's it really for?" 

"Blake's birthday, I think." 

"So why is that a big deal? He's another year closer to death. Congratulations." 

"Wow," the Brunette said, "I see she's a real optimist." 

"Keep running your mouth, you won't see anything with a black eye." I winked at her, and she seemed shocked. 

"Temper Vivian." Viper reminded me. 

"Right, I forgot. In terms of therapy, I'm supposed to be pleasant to bitches." I smiled at her wide, "My sincerest apologies." 

"Viva, you're really-"

"Bitter," I cut him off, "I know. So, out of every girl you've ever boned and left, how come she's the quote unquote 'lucky one'?" 

"She's just- different." He looked at her when he answered me, "She put up the fight for me to stay."

"Wow," I put a hand on my shoulder, "it looks to me like you're real picky. I've watched at least thirty girls put up that 'fight', and she's the one you notice?" 

"Makes her even more special." He rubbed her back and smiled at her. She smiled back, and the leaned in to kiss. I pushed through them, and made my way into the living room. The typewriter my mother used was covered in wax, and smelled like the incense she burned. I pushed it to the side, out of the way and turned the television on. Viper came in and sat next to me for about thirty seconds before his phone rang. 

"Hello?" He asked, "Yeah. Yeah. Yeah." He smiled wide, "Give me ten minutes to shower." He looked the Brunette on his other side and smiled. "Mom needs my help right away. I'll have Viva take you home." 

"You'll have Viva do what?" I raised an eyebrow at him and she looked scared. That comforted me a little. 

"Would you please drive her home to shower and change, then bring her back."