18

"I'm hopelessly devoted to you

"I'm hopelessly devoted to you." ~Olivia Newton-John, Hopelessly Devoted to You

NORMANI

School started back up today so I walk into the building to pick up Elijah and Amaiyah. I wait for them in the front and check my messages, I shake my head and read Lauren's message.

🌎🙄💍: Babe stop ignoring me.

Me: I'm not talking to you until we talk about last night.

🌎🙄💍: There's nothing to talk about Normani

Me: You not coming back to look after the kids while I WORK and THEN not answering any of my calls is something

🌎🙄💍: I'm calling you

Me: Don't

A few seconds later I get a call from her anyway and send it to voicemail with the quickness. She immediately calls back and I go on the other side of the room to answer it, keeping in mind not to make a scene in here.

"Yes you deadbeat mothafucka?"

"Hello to you too baby."

"Shut up."

"You acting like nobody looked after them, our parents did!"

"But YOU were supposed to Lauren! YOU never came back till God knows when! YOU weren't answering your phone, apart from that we were all worried about YOU! Cause YOU keep making senseless decisions!"

"I'm sorry Normani, I forgot."

"Cut the bull Lauren, no you didn't. You just refuse to be honest with me still."

"Here we go with me not being honest to you, can you just trust that I'm sorry for bailing?" 

"Be there when we get back. Get off my phone."

"Can you stop being so stubborn?"

I disconnect the call and just as I do so the twins come running into the room ahead of their teacher. I smile at her and pick them up.

"How were they today?" I ask.

"They were good, amazing actually. A couple of the few students that follow directions as opposed to the rest of the class," She smiles.

"Y'all must really wanna go to the children's museum," I laugh.

"Yess!" Eli yells.

"In Long Island?" She asks.

"Yup," I say.

"Well, have fun."

**

We get back from the museum and the kids fell asleep in the car, so I carry them into the house and to their rooms. I leave out the room and decide I should start getting ready for this double shift.

I walk into the bedroom to find Lauren sleep in the middle of the bed with her hair covering her face. She's always so tense, even when she's sleeping. I sigh and walk over to her, at least she made it this time.

I stare down at her as my heart starts to reek of sadness, the last few days she's been more distant than before. I fear that the outcome of everything will be a divorce, but all relationships go through a rough path. I still believe that all of this will get better.

I lightly stroke her hair while moving some of it out her face. I love her too much and know I couldn't get over her if I wanted to.

I know I'm just a fool who's willing to sit around and wait for her to treat me the way she used to. Those memories keep me around and keep my heart full. Keeps her love embedded in my mind and soul.

I move my fingers down to her face and gently trace over her features, her body visibly relaxes and her hands unclench. I slowly trace over her eyebrows first and work my way down to her freckles.

My head is telling me to forget her and the love we share, or shared. While my heart is telling me to hold on till the end and don't let go. And that's what I intend to do.

A tear escapes from one of my eyes and I ignore it, running my fingers across her cheeks, jaw, then along the outline of her face.

But now there's nowhere I can hide from everybody and everything and just be engulfed in her, since she pushed my love aside. I'm out of my head for choosing to deal with the way things are between us, but I'm just so hopelessly devoted to her.

I move my thumb over her lips and lean down, placing a small kiss on them. I walk away and finish getting ready for work. I just dress in something simple and all black cause I ain't in the mood for all this shit today. I wrap my hair up in a bun and put some light makeup on.

I walk back over to Lauren and shake her, "Lo."

She stays sleep and I shake her harder, "Come on babe, wake up."

She keeps her eyes closed and hums, "Hmm?"

"I'm leaving, the twins are sleep."

"Okay," She mumbles and attempts to nod.

I turn to walk away but she grabs my wrist before I can get far.

"Wait."

"What?" I look at her and wait for her to talk.

Eyes still closed and half sleep, she mumbles, "I love you."

I smile faintly, "I love you too."

She pulls me down to her and gives me a long, tender kiss. She goes back to sleep and I carefully move her hand from my wrist.