Chapter 34: The Moon and the Sun

We were having breakfast at the balcony when River told me the reason why he visit.

"Lolo send me on a business trip."

Tumigil ako sa pagtimpla ng kape. "What?"

"It's way up north, nearly a hundred miles away from here. Looks like I'm the new target."

"Please don't say that."

Alam kong sinabi lang ito ni River upang pagaanin ang sitwasyon. Ngunit hindi ko maitago ang pangamba ko.

"I can tell an apology is coming and I don't want to hear it," said River.

I bit my lips before I can say another word. It's the first thing that comes to my mind... to apologize.

I apologize for a lot of things, for feeling everything, or nothing at all, for burdening someone by my presence, or being aloft.

"You don't apologize for things you can't control, Denise. And that right there," tinuro ni River and aking puso, "is not something to apologize for. I'm rooting for it, whatever it may feel."

"But you and Yllona..."

River leaned on the lawn chair. "It's just a business trip. Lolo often do it when he don't want us mendling with his business, or simple whenever he don't want to see our faces."

"Will you be okay?"

Tinitigan ako ni River. Saka siya humalakhak. "I should be the one asking you that. As long as Landon is under our Lolo's control, he'll keep his part of the deal. That's the good thing about the Monaghans. We keep our words in steel and blood. Pero hindi parin natin alam kung ano ang iniisip niya o ano pa ang kaya niyang gawin."

"I'll be okay," I tried to assure him.

"Of course you will. You are Denise Limerick. The woman who fought against hell to live."

Napangiti ako sa kanyang sinabi.

"But it doesn't mean you have to go through the same thing now what we are here. I won't forgive myself if something happens to you, Denise."

River stared at me. Tila may gusto pa siyang sabihin. Ngunit umiling siya at piniling kalimutan ito.

River stood up while I remained seated in front of him. He stoop down and gave me a forehead kiss.

"Be safe, Denise."

--

Umalis si River kinagabihan. I never felt so alone in this big house now that I also lost River.

River's presence could make anyone feel at ease. His hearty chuckle is enough to break someone's wall.

It's kind of ironic how I never imagined myself being close to River and Yllona or any other Monaghan. But how can you stay strangers with people who let you see their flaws, scars, and soul?

Even if people play strangers there are still part of them that will keep those information  in the depths of their souls. That's why it's dangerous to let someone in, knowing they'll be rooted in your soul forever.

--

Kinabukasan, pagpagsok ko sa campus isang balita ang bumungad sa akin. Landon took the early graduation program. Tuluyan ko na siyang hindi makikita sa university.

Hindi na dapat ako nabigla. Hindi kami maaaring magsama sa iisang lugar. His grandfather already took everything from him. He's locked down so I can sit freely in class, safe and sound. And I couldn't bare it. This freedom feels empty because I couldn't bare the fact that this is Landon's cage.