Chapter 62: The Duo

"Go! Go! Go!" Natalie yelled. She and Kathrine both started pulling and tugging at their ropes as fast as they could.

"Is that Derrick?!" Kathrine screamed at Natalie.

"I don't know! Go!"

Natalie got her rope untied first. She jumped down at Kathrine's feet to help her.

"No, go. I've got this," Kathrine's voice changed.

"What about Evelyn? Zach?!" she asked.

"I don't know. Go!" Kathrine pointed to the woods.

Natalie stood up. She looked at RED getting closer. Now, he was running. She looked at the house and could hear Adam and Zach bickering back and forth inside the house. She looked behind her for the woods.

I have to... she thought.

"GO!" Kathrine yelled as she untied her feet and stood up. Kathrine didn't think twice and kicked up mud as she ran for the front door of the house.

Natalie spun on her heels and ran into the dark woods.

RED changed directions and chased after Kathrine. The distance was shorter, as RED was running straight to the front of the house–passing Evelyn's car–and Katherine was running to the porch. Kathrine's foot pressed against the first step... but she wasn't fast enough. RED was right behind her.

RED spun the crowbar so that the curved end wouldn't kill her. RED swung it like a baseball bat right at the back of Kathrine's head.

Clunk. Kathrine's body dropped to the steps like a heavy bag. Knocked out cold. RED looked up and could hear Adam in the living room of the house. Then, he looked back down at Kathrine. RED turned the crowbar around to the sharp end and lifted it up above his head. RED slung it down like a lumberjack cutting wood.

Splunk. Crack. The crowbar slammed into Kathrine's hip. The crowbar and the bone connected to create tension, and it wouldn't come back out easily. RED grabbed it and tried to pull Kathrine up the steps up of the porch. She was too heavy, and RED didn't want Kathrine to wake back up. He let go and jumped up the stairs and went inside to get Adam.

Adam emerged from the dark living room onto the front porch.

Adam stopped at her body. "Did you kill her? We wanted her alive..."

RED shook his head no. Adam shrugged his shoulders and grabbed onto the crowbar. He leaned down and pulled her up the steps and into the living room. Kathrine's blood was leaving a trail.

"That's a lot of blood..." Adam looked at RED. RED bent down, grabbed the crowbar, and twisted it until it was out of Kathrine's hip.

Kathrine was knocked out on the floor with her blood creating a puddle. Zach was on the floor—about four feet away—still tied up with his hands behind him and a cinder block contracting his feet. RED and Adam stood in the center of the room.

"You let her get away!?" Adam snapped at RED. He kept Natalie's gun in his hand as he stepped closer to RED. "Natalie can mess this all up. Why can't you just get that girl?" Adam turned his back to RED and stepped toward Kathrine. He pointed the gun at Kathrine. "Might as well end it... she's gonna bleed out."

Splunk. Adam's eyes shot open, and he shot a bullet at the floor. The gun fell from his hand and his knees started to give out. He grabbed his gushing neck... the crowbar was still sticking out of it. RED pulled the crowbar out of Adam's neck like pulling a knife out of jello. His blood shot out onto the floor between Kathrine and Zach like a fountain. He dropped to his knees and fell over.

RED bent down and grabbed the gun.

Kathrine gasped for air and grabbed her hip. "AHHH!" she yelled. She looked down, eyes wide and screaming. Her hip was throbbing, and blood was slipping out everywhere. She couldn't move her leg... it felt like a rock stuck on the inside, but it was just a gaping hole from the crowbar.

"Kathrine!" Zach yelled. He started crying... looking at Kathrine in unbearable pain... and there was nothing he could do about it.

Kathrine looked up at Zach. "He's Derrick. Derrick is RED."

Zach looked at RED, still crying. "...that's not Derrick," he whispered, tears still falling.

RED reached up and grabbed the front of the hoodie with the hand not holding the gun. She pulled back her hoodie and let it drop down onto her shoulders. Evelyn looked down at Zach and Kathrine...

"No... I'm not Derrick," Evelyn said.

***Yes, RED has finally been revealed... but there is still so much to come. Comment your thoughts!