Chapter 1

The night was cold and rainy. Air from outside that smelled of petrichor, blown in from my bedroom window. Noises from down the hallway filled my ear, waking me up from my sleep. I got out of my bed and followed the noises that led to my Mother's room.

"What are you doing?" I said while leaning against her door frame.

She stopped in her tracks when she noticed me. I cocked a brow at her as I crossed my arms.

"Well, I have to go on my business trip, so I'm packing," She said, continuing to stuff more clothes into her suitcases. "You should too."

That's when I got confused. "Why?" She turned around and grabbed me by my shoulders, making me sit down on the bed.

"You can't stay here by yourself. I'm going to be gone for a long time on this trip. Maybe a few months?" She slid her hair behind her ear when I looked at her big, two suitcases.

"Why can't I stay here? I can take care of myself." I said, slightly touching her still muddled at what she said.

"What if he comes?" She asked in a worried voice. "Who?" I responded as she got up and started to pace the room.

"Your father," She yelled in a upset, but weak tone. "What if he comes?!" She quized, scratching her head.

"I've never met him before, so it's fine." I tried to calm her down, but it was no use. She looked like she was going to have a panic attack.

"I've heard that your father is back in town," She let out a small sigh, "He's not a good guy, I'll tell you that, but he wasn't like that when I met him."

She sat down on the bed again and continued to pack her things in a swift pace. I sat beside her wanting to know more like the curious girl I am.

"Ma." I whined, hoping she would at least give me a little information.

The way she breathing showed me how serious she was. She stopped packing and stared at me deeply.

"He's trying to take you away from me. Before you were born he would hook up with other women. I was pregnant with you when we had a divorce. But he wanted you, so after the divorce, I moved far away from him. End of story." She let out a sad sigh as if she was about to cry.

"So does he know where we live or something?" I questioned as my breath hitched for a moment.

"I don't know how, but he does..." She weakly replied, "I don't want him to take you from me." My eyes widened as she quickly held my hands.

"If I can't stay here then do I have to go with you?" She chuckled nervously before continuing to pack again.

"Of course you can't come. It's for business, not vacation. Plus, you have school." I looked at her still addled as ever.

"Then where am I going to stay?"

"Well, at my friend's house."

"Mom... "

"Go on, pack your things. Use two cases, you're gonna be staying there for awhile..." She demanded, but in a calm voice.