Gift

"Noel"

Walking through the hospital felt odd as if this place was no longer a second home to me, and more of a place that I was visiting.

"Well look who it is," Dr. Helman said seeing me before I saw him.

"Hey," I said walking up to taking his hand to shake.

"How are you," he asked me.

"I'm good I just wanted to personally invite you to my wedding in October," I said to him.

"Oh my I will definitely be there," he said as I reached for the bookbag on my bag and grabbed an invitation to hand it to my boss who took and read off the cardstock that had the careful lines and subtle loops of Chloe's impeccable calligraphy on it.

"I'll be there, you should get home though before the rain picks up outside," he told me. It was hurricane season which was really beating the coast near the gulf and the remnants were flooding central Texas where I lived.

"Okay I have a few more invitations to hand out and I'll be going home," I told him before walking to the nurses changing room where I went and placed a few invitations in my coworker's locker through slits between the wood doors. When I was done I went to walk out room only to collide with Dr. Houdeck who I really didn't want to see today.

"Excuse me," I said trying to step around him but he sidestepped into my path.

"Hey Noel glad to see you here," he said licking his lips.

"Thank you, nice to see you as well," I lied before walking away.

"What's the rush," he asked walking up behind me.

"I need to get home to my family," I told him not breaking stride.

"Oh your little Rugrat and the firefighter," he said as if he couldn't imagine what I saw in them.

"I'm adopting two kids now and he's a lawyer. Also, he's my fiance," I corrected him.

"Oh," he said not in a happy tone more like he was angry. I kept walking not hearing his footsteps beside mine as I left the hospital and went to my car as rain pounded on every surface. I quickly turned my car on and began safety driving home. I turned to the back seat seeing the Xbox that was for Amar since it was his birthday along with the cake I had picked up from Sam's club. As I turned the corner into the parking lot the rain really began to pour so I pulled out and opted for the valet parking that we never used so I wouldn't be running around with a game and cake. The short guy took my keys and told me he'd park the car and return them while I grabbed my tote holding my game and grabbed the cake with my other hand and waited in the lobby for around five minutes before he came back with my keys and received a ten dollar tip since he was now soaking wet. With all my stuff in hand, I went to my home and unlocked the door.

On the breakfast counter there were cards, presents left unopened, and balloons in the colors; black, white, gray, and midnight green to represent the eagles which were Austin and Amar's favorite team. I didn't hear the boys and the television was turned off. I placed the Xbox wrapped in silver wrapping foil on the couch and then the cake on the counter just as thunder shook the house. I didn't hear screaming which was normal for the boys who didn't like storms. I decided to walk to their room and see what they were doing hoping that they weren't breaking anything or getting in trouble. When I got in there they weren't in their room. Which confused me knowing that Austin would take them out in this weather. Just as I was about to leave the power flickered off and I rolled my eyes. I placed a hand on the wall and felt around as I walked down the hall to my bedroom just in case it went out again. I opened the door and could see the dim glow of small tea lights on the dresser and the sound of a Disney movie playing from Austin laptop. I smiled the moment I saw them laying on the bed knocked out. Austin was laying in the middle while Ian and Amar lay beside him both asleep. Even Nemo was at Austin's feet sleeping soundly. It was so cute that I pulled my bookbag off grabbed my phone and dropped the bag on the ground before taking a picture and smiling sending it to JoJo and Chloe.

"Are you going to stand there or are you going to get in," Austin asked moving up in the bed. I smiled taking my leather jacket off and kicking my shoes to the side before climbing in the bed and maneuvering under the covers in between Austin's legs and laying the back of my head on his abs. He looked down at me and I looked up at him with a smile.

"What happened to the party," I asked looking over at Amar who still seemed to refuse to put a shirt on so he could show off his bird chest. Ian was sleeping with his mouth all the way open and droll flowing out the corner of his mouth.

"He heard thunder and got scared so we came in here to watch Toy Story till you came back but they fell asleep first. I'll wake him up soon. Did you get the stuff," he asked me.

"Yeah," I said just as someone knocked on our door.

"Is that your sister," Austin asked me.

"No she's home with her friend," I said lifting up to go answer it. Nemo jumped off the bed and ran out of the room to the boys' room not even attempting to guard the door. Austin got up behind me and we walked to the door. I looked through the peephole but someone had their thumb in front of it. I looked back at Austin and shrugged my shoulders before opening the door to both of Austin's brothers who were standing there with gifts in their hands.

"Noel stay inside the house while I teach Maxwell a lesson real quick," Austin said getting by me and trying to shut the door leaving me inside. I held it open but couldn't keep Austin back as he grabbed his brother by his shirt which led Maxwell to throw a punch. Austin returned the punch then slammed his brother into the wall within the dark hall since the power flashed off again then came back on as Austin threw another punch. It was interesting to see the fighting since Maxwell was from what I could see all bark. I couldn't believe he had the nerve to talk as recklessly as he did when seeing how he was performing especially since I could tell clearly that Austin was holding back. Who I assumed to be Shawn was chuckling at the little exchange before Austin saw him and pushed Maxwell away and tagged Shawn on the chin. Shawn threw a punch and missed only to get tagged again. Austin threw another punch for good measure then stepped back looking bored. Austin had told me his brothers weren't really about it but I didn't assume they were that bad at fighting. On the other hand, I was extremely turned on seeing Austin handling his brothers with ease.

"What are you doing here, I swear to God if you say something about your father. He could call me if he wanted me so bad. It's my kids birthday leave us alone," he said.

Maxwell got up off the ground sucking in his busted lip before releasing it to speak," Dad said he wanted you there in person so he could look you in the eye. It's really important to him that you be there for whatever he wants to tell you."

"I don't give a fuck about what he wants, tell him that. In pretty sure you can convince Miranda to give him my number if he wants to speak so bad but I'm not going out of my way for him because he's never done that for me. Now if you'll excuse me I need to wake the boys up before Amar misses his birthday," Austin said before walking off.

I looked at both of his brothers,"Intimidation isn't going to work on him. He hates your dad so you're not going to force him into anything to do with him. He'll decide when he's ready to reach out so please just leave us alone," I said before beginning to close the door only for Shawn to walk over and keep me from shutting it.

"Please," I was about to yell for Austin until Shawn used his feet to bring the gifts. It's for the boys of our sister. It's two trucks," he said pushing them into the opening the letting the door go. I looked down at them the. Picked them up just as Amar ran into the room with Ian not far behind him.

"Dogpile," Amar shouted and jumped on me laughing and Ian ran up and held onto my leg. They laughed and so did I as I walked over to the couch.

"Oh Daddy can I open the presents," he asked flinching when thunder hit.

"Of course it's your birthday," Austin said walking in with a smile on his face as if nothing had happened a few minutes prior. Amar didn't wait before tearing into all of his gifts squealing at every single one of them with excitement. I handed Ian the gift Austin's sister gave him and watched as he tore it open happy that he got something as well. This was really all I needed in life.