Worth it

(Samuel's POV)

"Can you walk back to the Mansion? Diana asked.

"Yes," I said, unwilling to leave her lips. Kissing her had cleansed me better than her magic. Something in me felt right. Elated. In bliss. It was my heart. I wanted to touch her lips, memorize each line, study each dent like I was mapping out all her secrets, her past and her future, kiss each emotion that made them pout or curved in a smile. I was in love with her lips. That was obvious. And I was in love with her. That was double obvious.

Alessandro kept complaining as he followed us from a distance. I could hear the tone but the words evaded me. I was still in Di zone. I'd beaten my best buddy badly. But it was good he'd been my punching bag, what if I'd hurt Di? I didn't even wanna think about it.

We ran into Riley as we were heading back. I reminded myself of the resolution.

"Oh good, you are well and alive. So, everything is finished? I can go back now?" Riley asked.

"Not quite."

"Come again?" Riley said.

"Look this is not the only dark shadow army. In the other universe.."

"What other universe?"

"Never mind. Just take my word for it. There was one. They had possessed the vampires not just here but everywhere and then the werewolves. So more will be coming. You need to close the gate of Hell."

"Oh no. Not the Hotel of Hell again. I hate that place. I thought I was done forever."

"Do you want the shadows to keep coming. This was just the first stage. And they won't have Di to help them."

"Fine," Riley replied. "I don't like it. But I'll do it. I'm really worried about my girls."

"We are back to this Riana, I see. Solve it. Send her away. That's my last warning to you." Yep, the resolution was forgotten, I realized. Long buried deep in the crevices of my brain. I looked at Diana and reminded myself of Riley had done. She was alive because of him. "Do it," I said, in what I believed to be a gentler tone.

"I can't really do that."

"Why not?" The gentleness was fast leaving.

"She is my daughter, don't push it."

"You have a daughter from another woman?" I had seized him. The resolution needed updating. It needed some stipulations.

"No, she's like Ori."

And that stopped me immediately, I let my fingers uncurl. "You mean she can...you mean she is my niece?"

He nodded. So she could time travel like Oriana. Okay, that changed things. "Why is she here?" I asked. Wow, I had a niece. A niece I'd care about.

"Not sure as of yet. Your dark shadows keep me away from finding out."

"I'll find out. I'll help her."

"No," Riley said. "It has to be me. Stay out of it."

"I want to meet her."

"No. You can wait to meet her. It could change things."

He was right. I could wait to meet her. Afterall, it wouldn't be too long. Oriana was pregnant. Everything you did during time-traveling changed the future. The fewer you interacted with others, the better. I knew that from Oriana. I was disappointed. But, I did understand.

I needed to say the word to Riley before he left, it needed saying. As much as the word got stuck in my throat, I pushed it forward.

"Thanks," I said. I wouldn't say more than that. He would know. He would understand.