Chapter 4

It had been a whole thirteen hours, nine minutes and fourty three seconds since Lena and Kara had last spoken which must have been a brand new record for the two of them. Lena was sat at her desk in her lab, surprisingly she had managed to drag her hungover self to work that morning without being arrested, because she was still most likely over the legal limit for driving. As much as Lena loved working through her numerous different equations and thinking of new ways to innovate her brand new, top secret project she just couldn't concentrate on any of it that morning. 

She groaned loudly banging her head on the desk, which only caused her to groan louder in pain, god this hangover really was a bitch. she had already taken her dose of aspirin for the morning along with half a dozen coffee's and several bottles of water which of course led her to be in and out of the bathroom all morning, okay so maybe there was more than just one reason for her lack of concentration. 

Lena couldn't take it anymore she jumped to her feat, throwing her lab coat to the ground and replacing it with the hoodie she had chosen to wear to work that morning, it was stained with so many things Lena couldn't even tell the colour it was supposed to be, but this had been and always will be her 'please don't talk to me I'm hungover' hoodie. She walked out of the lab, she peaked round the corner of the management offices, she had to walk through each and every one of them to exit the building, she just hoped that her boss wasn't in there otherwise she would be stuck there for the rest of the day. Luckily her boss was nowhere to be seen as she ran through the management offices and out of the front door, she had to go and apologise to Kara straight away, no man was worth ruining all of those years worth of friendship for, not even one as frustrating and annoying as Mike. 

***********************************************************************************************

"Hey babe, what's wrong you've been quiet ever since last night" Mike said across the kitchen island looking at his fiancee who currently was looking off into space, her eyes were red from crying and she wasn't one bit hungry in the slightest, a key sign that she was either emotionally traumatised or dying, or at least that;s what Lena liked to say. 

"I had a fight with Lena last night" Kara mumbled, if it wasn't for her having to personally hand her chosen article about bar fights to Cat Grant herself she wouldn't even have bothered to drag herself out of bed that morning. Mike sighed trying his best to act sad for his fiancee but Kara could see the grin shining through with out a doubt, she hated that her best friend and husband to be were mortal enemies, it made life increasingly hard for her. 

"I'm sure she'll come around" Mike winced, even though that was the last thing he hoped would happen, his true wish would to have Lena out of his and Kara's life for ever, although he highly doubted that would happen, at least he could be smug about getting the girl which was something that Lena was never able to achieve and everybody knew it, even Kara. 

"I have to go see her" Kara said furrowing her eyebrows, "this is stupid, I'm not risking our entire friendship over what I said" Kara muttered more to herself than Mike who overheard anyway. "I'll be back soon!" Kara called as she jumped off the bar stool at the kitchen island and ran out of the apartment, she knew Lena would be at work at this time so that is exactly where she was headed as fast as her legs would carry her. 

**********************************************************************************************

Lena ran down the main street of National City, people staring after her fleeting body, her hand was held out at the sun blocking it from her face, if the light even so much as skimmed her eyes she would recoil like a vampire, as we've already covered this hangover was a bitch. When suddenly she looked up at the road in front of her and saw a blonde running towards her and Lena instantly knew it was Kara, mostly because she could see that huge Kara trademarked grin on her face from where she was. 

"Kara!" Lena called as she shifted up a gear, running faster still. 

"Lena!" Lena heard Kara call back, quickly followed by swift, breathless laughter, the two women collided with each other in the middle of National City main street, people watching them with stunned expression, anyone would think one of them had just returned from the war or something equally as humbling.  

"I'm so sorry!" both women said breathlessly together, before they both burst into a fit of hysteric laughter, Lena wouldn't be surprised if someone had called the mental asylum by now asking if they had any escaped patients. 

"Best friends again?" Kara asked, becoming serious for a moment, raising a swift eyebrow which made Lena giggle. 

"Ride or die" Lena said, smiling brightly 

"Ride or die" Kara repeated, she put out her hand to meet Lena's in their little secret handshake that they had come up with together back in the day when they only had each other to depend on. 

Authors Note: 

Hey guys hope you enjoyed that chapter and thank you for all the votes, reads and comments it means a lot!