Chapter One

1814

"Lucas, you must return home."Those words preyed on my mind as I rode into the county of my birth. That my father had not seen fit to explain why I need to return home was a trifle annoying, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of unease. I had never been summoned home in such an abrupt manner before, and why had my usually economic-minded father sent such a brief note?

I reined my mount to a halt on the hill, overlooking Bywood Hall, the home of my family for the past six generations. The clouds parted, allowing the sun's rays to illuminate the hall. The white limestone was nearly blinding in the light and certainly added to the impressive presence of the house.

To the right was the Ramsey estate, Braglow. That family had not been in the county for as long as mine, but my father and Mr. Ramsey were old school friends. Hardly a week passed, when I was growing up, that we were not there or they were at the Hall. It was as familiar to me as my own home, and the occupants were as close as family.

A feeling of contentment, such as I hadn't felt in several years, settled around me. "Home," I said, patting the horse's neck. He tossed his head with impatience, and I let out a laugh. "Yes, I understand. You want your feed. Let's go."

It only took the slightest nudge from my heels, and we were off. In a matter of minutes, Bywood Hall loomed above us, and I took a moment to appreciate the stately structure that had been my childhood home. Even though I was now two-and-twenty, it made me feel insignificant.

A state of mind my elder brother, George, would no doubt encourage me to indulge in more often.

Dismounting, I handed the reins to the stable boy, who rushed to take charge of my chestnut. "He has had a long, hard ride," I advised the young man. "See he is rewarded with some grain and then returned to the Rose and Crown in the morning."

"Yes, Mister Lucas," the stable boy said, tugging the brim of his cap before leading the horse to the stable.

For a hired hack, he had been well-trained and energetic, which was remarkable. Though, I was more than ready to have my own mount, Phaeton, to ride now that I was home. I could hardly wait for the opportunity to race across the countryside.

Taking a deep breath, I approached the front door, the feeling of apprehension returning once again. It didn't seem necessary to knock or ring the bell when it was all too easy to open the door myself. I shrugged my riding jacket off as I strode through the entry hall, the sound of my boots on the tiled white floor echoing in the space.

A few moments later, Butler came hurrying forward. "Mister Lucas! Allow me to take your coat and hat, sir. I was not informed you were to return today and I did not hear the bell. My sincerest apologies."

"You didn't hear the bell because I did not ring it, Butler." I sent a smile at the middle-aged man who had served my family for as long as I could remember. How delighted I had been as a child that our butler's name was "Butler." "And I didn't send word ahead. I didn't think there would be any need."

"I will have Mrs. Stokes prepare your room for you right away," he promised, sending a look behind me. "Your valet will be arriving soon?"

I waved a dismissive hand. "I found Waverly didn't suit me long ago, Butler." Waverly's dislike of travel had been reason enough for me to send him packing within days of our leaving Bywood Hall. "I believe he's doing rather well for himself in London, employed by some viscount...or was it a marquess?"

Butler focused on me, a horrified expression on his face. "You don't mean to say you have no valet!" He straightened his shoulders as though he were going to take on some challenge. In reality, he was: me. "Mister Bywood and I will remedy this at once."