Chapter 44

Sounds seemed to rush past me as I lay immobile, it sounded as though somebody was talking, but I couldn't make out what they were trying to say. I tried to move, to wiggle my toes, my fingers, anything, but I couldn't. I was trapped in my own body, unable to do anything as I heard the person begin to grow desperate. That familiar husky voice started to tremble, he was crying for me and there wasn't a thing I could do about it.

A warm wet droplet of water dropped onto the back of my hand and I jolted at the sensation, finally able to feel something. Alaricus called out my name in confusion, having seen my body jolt. I felt something warm and large resting on my hand, and I tensed. Trying to calm my breathing I tried to concentrate on the muscles in that one hand, putting all my strength into moving at least one finger. My efforts were rewarded with a gasp from him, and I tried again to tune into what he was saying.

"Angel if you can hear me, please come back to me. I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you, I promise I'll be better this time, just wake up please. What will I tell your parents, they trusted you to me, how will I face them if you won't wake up?" He begged, yelling for a doctor as I twitched my finger in response.

"She moved." Alaricus yelled, presumably at the doctor who'd come in response to his desperate yelling.
"T-that's great." A gentle masculine voice answered shakily. A cold round compress being pressed to my chest, making me jolt again. The poor doctor having been startled, let out a nervous shriek in response to my sudden movement. Alaricus growled angrily at the poor doctor for being so loud.

"Help her wake up." Alaricus commanded, already sounding quite frustrated with the doctor. I tried to peel open my eyes, to help end the painful transaction going on between the doctor and Alaricus quickly, but unfortunately the only thing I could do for now was move my finger.

"I don't know how to. U-usually by now the wolf takes over, waking the p-person up, but the queen d-doesn't have a wolf." The doctor mused quietly. I could bet my useless spinal cord that Alaricus was currently staring silently at the poor man, letting him know he was being very judged.

"So why are you here?" Alaricus asked, his voice misleadingly calm.
"I-I work here." The doctor replied, sounding more like a question than an answer.
"No you- I mean why would you come if you can't tend to a human. Why not send a human doctor?" Alaricus asked.
"I'm not quite sure." The doctor answered sounding as if he would drop into a coma any moment now.

"Alright so now you are going to go and fetch me a human doctor, and I swear if I see you anywhere near my Mate again, I'm going to put you into a coma and send a human gardener to check on you. Do you understand?" Alaricus asked, still sounding alarmingly composed. The man let out a squeak of agreement in response before a loud crash was heard. Either Alaricus had tackled him, or the man had tripped on his own.

"He can't even walk and he wants to treat my mate." Alaricus stage whispered to me, confirming that the man had indeed tripped.
"Sorr-" the man began to say but Alaricus cut him off with a brisk "out."

"Alaricus stop being mean." I croaked out, surprised that I had even managed to say that out loud. I pried my eyes open to look into Alaricus' bright honey eyes as he leaned over me, his eyes wide open.
"Hi." I whispered to a shocked Alaricus, who looked like a looming statue over me.

"My sweet angel." He cried out, gathering me up into his arms and hugging me tightly to his chest.
"I was so scared, I was so scared I had lost you." He told me.

"I love you." He chanted into my ear like a mantra, holding me so close to him as if afraid that I would slip away if he let go.