Too Old for Them

Charlotte's POV

        Lana just dropped me off back home at the orphanage. I am pretty disappointed now honestly because I again am separated from Maddie. Lana was so nice that I didn't want to leave her. She and I had a real heart to heart moment earlier when Maddie went to the washroom. Lana started to cry because she was upset about how she gave Maddie up as a baby and how she feels like she has stolen Maddie away from me now. I wish she did not feel that way because she already proved that she is not like the stereotypical mother who abandons her child and never looks back. Lana searched for her child again and found her! In the end, Lana took Maddie back because she has her life all sorted out now and that is all that matters. Only if Lana saw the situation that way as well. Now I am just in my bedroom away from all the other children here because I am feeling so upset. Today made me miss my parents a lot more than usual because I felt as if I had a mother for two seconds when Lana and I were talking and now it is gone. I miss those moments with my mom and dad. I feel jealous right now and I know I shouldn't. I am jealous that Maddie has an amazing mom like Lana, I want a mom like her. See some people may think I want to replace my mom and dad, but that is not the story at all. My parents died a long time ago when I was quite young and I never really had a great childhood because I grew up at a young age without a family. Seeing Maddie so happy with her mom makes me crave that as well, the thing is I am too old for anyone to want. No one will ever adopt me.

        FLASHBACK 

        Today there is a couple coming to look for a child to adopt. I am eight years old right now and have been here for almost a year. My mommy and daddy died in a car accident and we did not have any other family to take care of me so, I came to live here. I struggled here for the first bit, but then a baby came here and she is like a little sister to me now. I love to take care of her and I even change her diapers when I am allowed to. Her name is Maddison, but I like to call her Maddie. I asked Mrs. Harring why she is here and she told me her mommy wasn't ready. I don't get how she can't be ready, but I am just lucky to have Maddie here. She makes me very happy and she and I are going to grow up together.

Mrs. Harring: "Charlotte, come down here please." 

I head downstairs and I am met with Mrs. Harring and a couple sitting across from her. They turn their heads and smile at me, Mrs. Harring directs me to take a seat beside her. 

Mrs. Harring: "Charlotte, this is Sydney and Mark. Can you say hello?"

Me: "Hello..."

Sydney: "Hi honey, it is nice to meet you. I love your t-shirt."

The shirt I was wearing had a unicorn and a rainbow on it. I hated it, but it was the only shirt that was clean. 

Mark: "Hi Charlotte, a pleasure to meet you."

I just stared at them and swung my legs back and forth, I am a short girl so I can't quite reach the floor while sitting on these chairs yet. I wonder why I have to be here, this is awkward. The lady loves the shirt I hate and the man looks scary. 

Mrs. Harring: "So, Mrs. and Mr. Loder were curious to meet you. They think you may be the perfect fit for them! How about I leave you three alone to chat and get to know one another."

With that, Mrs. Harring left me with these two strangers and we just sit in silence for a minute. I really just want to go back upstairs and play with Maddie. She is starting to roll over and I want to help her master it.

Sydney: "So, Charlotte. Do you play any sports or have any hobbies?"

Me: "Uhh... no and my hobby is taking care of Maddie if that is one."

Mark: "Who's Maddie?"

Me: "She is a baby and her mommy wasn't ready for her and she lives here. We play together all day every day. She is waiting for me upstairs."

Mrs. Harring walks back into the room right after I said that. She sat back down beside me and smiled.

Mrs. Harring: "So, how are we all?"

Sydney: "Um, good. Charlotte mentioned a baby who is here? Can we see her?"

Mrs. Harring: "Maddie? Yes, she is here. Why? Are you thinking of adopting two children now? Those two are quite the pair, sisters by choice." 

Mark: "Actually, we are now considering a younger child like Maddie. A baby seems better than an older child."

Mrs. Harring glanced at me with a sad facial expression and then walked me and the strangers up to Maddie and I's room. I don't get why they are still here really or what they said back there means, but I am just excited to go play with Maddie. When we get upstairs I run to the crib, hop up on my stool and pick Maddie up. I have to be gentle with her because she is as tiny as some of my dollies. 

Mrs. Harring: "Charlotte, can you let Sydney and Mark hold Maddie for a bit?"

I glance up at them and then back away with Maddie still in my arms. I don't like these people and I don't want them touching Maddie. 

Mrs. Harring: "Charlotte, let them hold Maddie please, they want to meet her."

Me: "NO! I don't want them to meet her, she is my Maddie not theirs!"

Mark: "Give her to me you little brat."

Mark then stepped towards me and ripped Maddie out of my hands. He gave her to Sydney and they cooed at her. That made me super angry, he took her right out of my arms and called me a mean name! I run towards them and punch his leg since I am too short to reach much higher. I immediately regret my actions when Mark's face looked down on me with a super angry look plastered across it. The next thing I know Mark threw back his hand and slapped me across the face, leaving a stinging sensation. 

Mrs. Harring: "EXCUSE ME SIR WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?", she yells.

Mrs. Harring ran to Sydney and ripped Maddie from her arms this time, then came to me and pulled me behind her. 

Mrs. Harring: "Leave this house NOW!" 

Both bodies disappeared quickly and Mrs. Harring turned around to check my face which was burning slightly. She put Maddie in her crib and took me to the kitchen to put an icepack over my cheek. Then, she went on the phone and called the cops. No one will ever want me, they just want babies. No one will ever take Maddie from me though, I can't let her leave me because the world is not safe. 

Flashback over

I dry my tears that have slipped out of my eyes. I failed Maddie, I can't keep her safe anymore. Although Lana seems like an amazing mother she won't be there all the time to protect Maddie. 

Hey readers! I want to get to know you guys better and talk. So, each chapter I post I will have a question and I want you all to answer it! I then will reply to all of you :) Today's question is... When is your birthday? Let's see if we have any birthday twins.