THIRTEEN | COMFORT

THIRTEEN | COMFORT

HER STROKES WERE LONG AND SMOOTH. The water in the pool flowed around Evelina's perfect body as she swam laps back and forth. Roman watched the young beauty in wonder, his thoughts were all over the place. He had been sitting there watching her for about the past five minutes. After her shocking words about how she wanted to be there for him in his hard times, all Roman could respond with was a wimpy 'thank you'. He was at a loss for words suddenly. 

The day was hot, so Evelina excused herself to get into the pool to cool off. Even Roman was getting hot; it was undecided whether it was from the sun or the teen in front of him. He knew he had other things that actually needed to get done, like work, but for some reason, he couldn't find it in him to leave. 

In fact, he had other ideas in mind. 

"Hey, could you pass me my towel?" Her voice interrupted his thoughts. Roman looked over at Evelina who was leaning over the edge of the pool in front of him, she was smiling up at him. 

"Oh, yeah." Roman tried to get out of his own head as he got up and grabbed the white towel off of her pool chair. He stood in front of her while she got out of the pool, Roman held it open for her which she seemed to appreciate. 

After realizing she had wrapped herself in the towel, he took a step back. "Maybe I should be heading home." He awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck, feeling the heat. Roman wasn't quite sure why he had stayed so long in the first place. 

Evelina gave him a smile, "Of course, you know you can talk to me anytime, right? I know that now you know who your wife is cheating on you with, it must be hard." She said with a sad smile. "Clark is a real prick, too, so there's that also." 

"Yeah," He sighed looking at the dripping wet girl in front of him, almost ignoring what she had just said. 

"When are you planning on telling her that you... know?" She asked a good question. When was he going to tell her? He wanted to say it would be soon, but that would've been a lie. Roman wanted to wait until he was ready, and even if they did divorce, there would be a long process before it would actually officially happen. There was no prenup written before their marriage, so things would get messy. He had planned on them being together for the rest of their lives after all. 

"I'm not gonna tell her right when she gets home, but, it'll happen soon," Roman said pointedly.

"Okay, whenever you want. Just let me know if you need anything." Evelina placed a cool, damp hand on his hairy arm. 

"Uh, sure." He was mesmerized by her hand slowly rubbing up and down his arm. "I have work at home to do. I better go." Roman pulled away awkwardly, heading towards the house so he could leave. 

"Sure, bye, Roman." She removed her towel, heading back to her chair and spreading herself out on it. "Don't forget about me," Evelina said flirtatiously with a wink. 

"Have a good rest of your afternoon." Was all he said before quickly leaving. 

It was becoming clearer to Roman that something more was surfacing between him and Evelina. He didn't want to admit it or say something was happening there, but he could feel something between them was growing. Surely he couldn't have been the only one feeling that way, either. 

♥︎

Roman had been working the rest of the afternoon on business deals and answering emails, he was exhausted by the time his wife was meant to be coming home. However, she didn't come home, nor did she even text him that entire day. She must've been more mad about his outbreak last night than he had thought. But, they were still married (even if there was a divorce in their future) and he did care for her.