twenty-three | dan

"You're where?"

"The police station."

Dan didn't like being woken. Much less by the boy that broke his heart calling him to pick him up from the police station.

Dan didn't have a car, and stealing his parents wasn't a problem. Even though he knew he shouldn't.

But, being the great person he was, he agreed to pick him up.

"Where's your brother?"

"Outta town."

Dan groans and rolled his eyes as he started the car. His brother is out of town for one day and he gets arrested.

"Alright be there in ten."

As Dan rode through the streets he thought of what he would say to him. He wanted to say sorry, but what he really wanted to do right now was yell at him.

How stupid can he be?

How'd he get arrested anyway?

Why wasn't Dan there for him?

He left out a frustrating sound and hit his head against the steering wheel. The sound of the horn brought him back to life and he floored it to the police station.
______________________________________

When he arrived he was asked for his ID, driver's license, and school code.

It was a weird process.

"Why would his brother send a minor to pick him up?" The cop asked him.

Dan shrugged. He didn't know. If he knew Marytn was the one who wanted him here and not Phil he would've ignored his please of help and tell him to handle it like a big boy.

"Well, whatever, he's back there with some other kids."

Dan perked up, and he inched over to the officers desk to ask him. "What'd he look like."

"African american fella, kinda long hair, foul mouth." The officer shrugged like it was an everyday thing.

"Why you asking?"

Dan's blood boiled and he clenched his fist together. How could Phil be so stupid, Dan knew Brian would only get him in trouble.

The cop lead him to the back where to two boys were slunched over a couple of chairs, sharing mid conversation.

"You seriously still sleep with a teddy bear?"

"At least I don't share a room with a seven year old."

"Yeah well at least-"

The cop knocked on the wall and told Phil his ride was here. Phil's expression immediately darkened as be looked over at Dan.

"Call me tomorrow." He told Brian.

"If I'm not dead, I'll consider it."

Phil walked toward and right passed Dan. He didn't seem to want to engage in conversation. He didn't even want Dan to be there. Understandable. He didn't want to be here either.

Phil signed a few papers and wrote Dan his brothers phone number.

"Here's your court date, this'll be decided whether or not you'll have to pay a large fine."

Phil nodded gravely. He looked a little worse for wear. His skin, which used to be a smooth white, had now looked gray. He looked as if he'd been crying all night, his eyes were red as his nose, and his eyes lacked the sparkle they once held.

Phil turned and made eye contact with Dan for a few seconds before turning toward the door.

"Come on."