Chapter 79

"So what do you guys want to do after school finishes?" You ask as you sit facing outwards at the picnic table, leaning on it and watching everyone out on the school field.

"I don't know, join the army I guess." Bucky sighs and shrugs next to you. "Ain't that what every other bloke is doing? It's expected of us right?"

"Oh I'm joining the army for sure," Steve says a lot more confidently.

"No your not." Bucky scoffs and rolls his eyes. "You'll get monstered out there."

"Will they even let you sign up in the first place Steve? No offence." You point out. "And Buck, it's not expected."

"Well they're gonna have to 'cos I ain't taking no for an answer." Steve states defensively.

Bucky just looks at you. "You know it pretty much is Doll. And I just don't understand why you want to join so much Stevie." He turns to him. "Fighting, killing people, leaving your family. Tell me what's so appealing about that? I know I wouldn't be joining if I really had the choice."

"It's not just about that." Steve groans. "It's about freedom and standing up for the little guys and stopping the bullies-"

"Bullies?" Bucky interrupts. "Seriously Steve? Bullies? Those Nazis seem like more than just your regular bully to me."

"You know what I mean." Steve looks down and mumbles. "I want to prove everyone wrong. And since you don't wanna join so bad what would happen if you got drafted?"

"Well then I wouldn't have a choice now would I?" Bucky shoots back. "I'm not sayin' I don't wanna go to war, it's just not at the top of my priorities. I just want to live a normal life is all."

An awkward silence falls over the three of you.

"What about you (Y/N)?" Bucky finally asks.

"I think I'm just gonna stick to working at the diner for a while and earn some money then go from there. Maybe take a nice holiday or expand my skills to salon work, maybe even become a nurse out on the field." You shrug casually.

"Nice." Bucky nods.

"How come she's aloud to go to war and I'm not?!" Steve exclaims.

"Because she hasn't got all the illnesses that you do and she isn't gonna be out there with bullets firing left right and centre around her! She's gonna be safe in a tent!" Bucky growls fed up, looking like he wants to slap Steve.

"It's still dangerous! They could get bombed or something." Steve scowls. "Not to mention the thousands of diseases and infections she could catch."

"Thanks for putting that idea in my head punk." Bucky eyeballs him.

"Guys stop it!" You huff and interrupt, tired of the fighting. "That's all still a year away. For all we know by the time we get to it the war could be over."

                                    ~~~~

God how young and naive you all were back then. Little did you know that war would go on for many years to come and then pretty much destroy your lives and change them forever. None of you got what you wanted, except maybe Steve although you doubt he was really expecting something like this to happen.