20 My Brother's Beta

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

20 My Brother’s Beta

Aaron led me through the school corridors, and soon we were just outside an empty science lab. I turned the knob, and grinned. “It’s locked.”

“If only I had gotten a key from Mr. Baxter during first period!” he said dramatically, pulling a silver key from his pocket. “Oh wait, I did.”

I groaned – I really do not like science. I mean, I tolerated it enough to get a B- in freshman year, but I never really liked it enough to continue it. I just can’t wrap my mind around all the formulae, and equations, and chemical reactions and stuff. Besides, what the hell is a nucleus?

Aaron unlocked the door, and held it open in a gesture that clearly said after you. But still I hesitated, making him sigh and just pick me up and lift me into the room.

He set me down on one of the stools; ignoring my open mouth. My eyes narrowed a little – my inner wolf definitely does not like to be man-handled. I bet if it was someone other than my mate who’d done it, she would have taken over like she did when I was snapping at Ashlyn on my first day back at school. “What the hell, Aaron!”

“What?” he asked obliviously, eyes wide as he managed to set up some scientific looking machine without even glancing at it. My eyes just narrowed further. Why did he have to look so sexy, even when being scientific? “Why’re you looking at me like that?”

“You just lifted me up!” I exclaimed. Hearing myself, I knew that I had no point in making an argument.

“And that makes you angry… because?” He asked, scratching his head in confusion.

“How’d you like it if I man-handled you?”

“I’d like it very much,” He said, winking. “But you’re too young for that.”

“That’s not what I meant,” I sighed, and tried hiding when I couldn’t help but giggle a little. “I mean, if I were to lift you around the room?”

“Well, at first I’d be pretty amazed that you could haul a fully-grown male Beta wolf,” he said, putting on a weird ‘geek’ voice. God, it’s sexy. “And then I’d be a bit worried that you were taking steroids.”

At this, I laughed. I don’t know what it is about Aaron, but I can’t stay mad at him for very long. Maybe it was instinct – you know, because he’s my mate and mates stick together and whatnot.

“Come over here,” he said, smiling at me. “You need to put on your protective gear!”

“Fun!” I cheered sarcastically, but grinned at him. He rolled his eyes, holding out a white lab coat with some questionable stains on it, and a pair of goggles. “Why do I need these?”

“Because we’re pretending to be scientists, duh,” he said as though he was a little boy.